We need to encourage use of public transport
IT seems once again the North Herts District Council is considering a measure that will make life more difficult for our elderly and more vulnerable residents. A town bus service that only operates once an hour is going to result in a lot more standing ab
IT seems once again the North Herts District Council is considering a measure that will make life more difficult for our elderly and more vulnerable residents.
A town bus service that only operates once an hour is going to result in a lot more standing about in the wet and cold for people who need to use the buses.
We are told that it is due to budgetary constraints, but what will be next?
There are difficult decisions to made in the budget.
You may also want to watch:
Perhaps the residents' parking scheme which costs £73 a place to administer and to which residents now contribute £39 should be curtailed to a few absolutely necessary places, and this would make a contribution.
Should the bus timetables be streamlined in line with need? It is difficult to do as no figures for usage are available.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
As most of the people using the bus do not pay, perhaps the service should be free at the point of delivery and then the usage figures may become available to help make informed decisions.
Local public transport is highly unlikely to make a profit which is why it is called a service. It is a service that we all pay for and we can all use if we want to.
We are supposed to be encouraging the use of public transport. How do we do that? Cancel half the buses and close the toilets at the bus station.
It is not a good move, not a green move and not a move that enhances the life of the residents of Royston.
Cllr LIZ BEARDWELL
Royston Palace ward
North Herts District Council
- At a recent meeting of North Herts District Council's Royston area committee, it was explained that the bus operators do not release any details about passenger numbers.