We need to encourage recycling
I WAS interested to read in The Crow the report on fortnightly rubbish collection, and I welcome their introduction. People do need to be encouraged to recycle more waste. I am not convinced though, that fortnightly rubbish collections alone will be suff
I WAS interested to read in The Crow the report on fortnightly rubbish collection, and I welcome their introduction.
People do need to be encouraged to recycle more waste. I am not convinced though, that fortnightly rubbish collections alone will be sufficient.
Currently, the only recyclable waste that is collected is paper and glass.
Our household recycles cardboard, plastic of various types, compostable packaging and metal in addition to paper and glass.
You may also want to watch:
Doing this involves a high degree of commitment to separate the waste and to take it to the recycling centre. We had to buy another outdoor rubbish bin to hold it all.
I estimate that we recycle approximately 50 per cent of our waste.
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
If the council wants to encourage recycling it is going to have to provide larger bins and commit to collecting more recyclable waste.
On a recent visit to the US, I noticed that recycling bins were about twice as large as normal waste bin because people recycle two-thirds of their waste.
Both are collected with the same frequency and the recyclable waste does not need to be sorted by type.
This is the way to really encourage people to recycle the majority of their waste.