We need to encourage recycling
I WAS interested to read in The Crow the report on fortnightly rubbish collection, and I welcome their introduction. People do need to be encouraged to recycle more waste. I am not convinced though, that fortnightly rubbish collections alone will be suff
I WAS interested to read in The Crow the report on fortnightly rubbish collection, and I welcome their introduction.
People do need to be encouraged to recycle more waste. I am not convinced though, that fortnightly rubbish collections alone will be sufficient.
Currently, the only recyclable waste that is collected is paper and glass.
Our household recycles cardboard, plastic of various types, compostable packaging and metal in addition to paper and glass.
Doing this involves a high degree of commitment to separate the waste and to take it to the recycling centre. We had to buy another outdoor rubbish bin to hold it all.
I estimate that we recycle approximately 50 per cent of our waste.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 3 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 4 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Entrepreneur shortlisted for award after setting up business while managing chronic illness
- 7 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 8 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'
- 9 Room at the inn for 1,000-mile charity trekker
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
If the council wants to encourage recycling it is going to have to provide larger bins and commit to collecting more recyclable waste.
On a recent visit to the US, I noticed that recycling bins were about twice as large as normal waste bin because people recycle two-thirds of their waste.
Both are collected with the same frequency and the recyclable waste does not need to be sorted by type.
This is the way to really encourage people to recycle the majority of their waste.