We need facilities for recycling – not just publicity
SO Councillor F John Smith thinks that the public needs to be educated into thinking that a saving of £300,000 on cutting rubbish collections to once a fortnight with the consequent unhygienic smells and increase in rats and maggots will be all right, pro
SO Councillor F John Smith thinks that the public needs to be educated into thinking that a saving of £300,000 on cutting rubbish collections to once a fortnight with the consequent unhygienic smells and increase in rats and maggots will be all right, providing the council with £200,000 on a publicity campaign to encourage recycling.
The public already recycle as much as the district council provide facilities for so doing.
However, no facilities are provided for recycling plastic in the area, and in Ashwell we have just two bins for recycling cans - at the local garage on the edge of the village.
Come on councillors. Give us the tools to do the job we know must be done.
We can't do it if you waste our money on preaching to the converted.
- 1 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 2 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 3 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'
- 6 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 Disruption to train lines between Royston and Cambridge
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Room at the inn for 1,000-mile charity trekker
I SHOULD like to express my relief, delight and pleasure that the Royston Area Committee of the North Herts District Council still considers the recycling of plastics and cans of sufficient ecological importance for it to proceed next year with a campaign of public awareness and kerb-side collection of these items.