We need facilities for recycling – not just publicity
SO Councillor F John Smith thinks that the public needs to be educated into thinking that a saving of £300,000 on cutting rubbish collections to once a fortnight with the consequent unhygienic smells and increase in rats and maggots will be all right, pro
SO Councillor F John Smith thinks that the public needs to be educated into thinking that a saving of £300,000 on cutting rubbish collections to once a fortnight with the consequent unhygienic smells and increase in rats and maggots will be all right, providing the council with £200,000 on a publicity campaign to encourage recycling.
The public already recycle as much as the district council provide facilities for so doing.
However, no facilities are provided for recycling plastic in the area, and in Ashwell we have just two bins for recycling cans - at the local garage on the edge of the village.
Come on councillors. Give us the tools to do the job we know must be done.
We can't do it if you waste our money on preaching to the converted.
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Royston Methodists welcome leading figures to church
- 4 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 5 Fast and frenetic racing as Cycle Club Ashwell shine at grass track cycling meet
- 6 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 7 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 8 Children invited to take part in town trail for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
I SHOULD like to express my relief, delight and pleasure that the Royston Area Committee of the North Herts District Council still considers the recycling of plastics and cans of sufficient ecological importance for it to proceed next year with a campaign of public awareness and kerb-side collection of these items.