We have to act now on free car parking
I READ with interest the comments in The Crow last week suggesting free parking during the time leading up to Christmas. It is a step in the right direction. But free parking should be from January 1 to December 31 each year – and that s the only way to a
I READ with interest the comments in The Crow last week suggesting free parking during the time leading up to Christmas.
It is a step in the right direction. But free parking should be from January 1 to December 31 each year - and that's the only way to attract people to the town centre again.
Councillor F John Smith said in the report that it was a "sensible" idea, and that there were months to put it in place.
He has got that wrong because the parking situation in Royston is of the utmost urgency, which needs to be dealt with now.
You may also want to watch:
Tesco, with its free parking, has a monopoly on the whole retail trade of Royston.
I took this matter to the then Royston MP Ian Stewart, who told me that the development of Tesco would enhance the town centre. How wrong he was.
- 1 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 2 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 3 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 4 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 5 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 6 Sandon mum's joy at publication of first novel
- 7 Campaign to bring medical treatment for children with heart conditions closer to home
- 8 18 rescued from back of refrigerated lorry
- 9 Village church receives 'lifeline' grant from government
- 10 Herts COVID-19 infection rate falls below one in a thousand
I would like to see the Royston Town Hall car park made into a two-tier system to make more parking spaces available.
If Johnson Matthey and Tesco are so publicly attuned as they would have us believe, they can perhaps between them fund such a project.
As Tesco says: "Every little helps."