Understanding the public’s apathy
READING The Crow, I am becoming depressed about the future of Royston. We are all aware of the heavy Council Tax that we have to pay. What are we getting back? It has been said that we are subsidising Letchworth and Baldock to our detriment. I feel that
READING The Crow, I am becoming depressed about the future of Royston.
We are all aware of the heavy Council Tax that we have to pay. What are we getting back? It has been said that we are subsidising Letchworth and Baldock to our detriment.
I feel that the atmosphere in this once lively town is getting very negative. It is losing its character and becoming a dormitory suburb. I am wondering what this town will hold for the young people in the future.
I would imagine that they will go elsewhere. I will express the opinion that the older generation are keeping this town on its feet. But in another 20 years who knows?
You may also want to watch:
We are getting a lot less for the money we pay.
- Car parking is expensive. Sideroads are used. The car park is half empty. The council loses cash.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 9 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 10 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- Allotments are threatened.
- The cinema has disappeared.
Can't we have a community centre with entertainment facilities?
- The bus service is threatened.
- The market is threatened.
- Looking down the High Street its totally lost its character.
I do feel that councillors don't carry a lot of clout. They have their meetings and talk a lot, but nothing positive happens. The public is understandably very apathetic.