Underpass costs going up and up
As a local newspaper you have a duty to keep local people correctly informed about local issues. This becomes even more important when we, as rate payers, are paying the bills. Your page five story on the underpass project (Walking for a Better Deal, Crow
As a local newspaper you have a duty to keep local people correctly informed about local issues. This becomes even more important when we, as rate payers, are paying the bills.
Your page five story on the underpass project (Walking for a Better Deal, Crow July 9) was incorrect to say Sustrans are behind the �3.7million scheme to provide an underpass at Coombes Hole.
Sustrans involvement is offering �800,000 if a designated cycle path is included in a Herts County Council scheme for an underpass.
At the time the total budget was much lower and a crossing should have been completed by now. The cost has now risen to �3.7million, and is still rising. And that's before the project has even started.
You may also want to watch:
As Coombes Lane is heaped to the centre and not wide enough for current use and the cycle track, it's inclusion to get a grant should be looked at very closely. Is it even needed? Let alone worth the extra cost, delays, and legal trouble?
Its inclusion is the reason why ex-councillor Doug Drake did not see the underpass completed on a much smaller budget during his term in office and it may yet have toi be scrapped due to rising costs and legal trouble, most of which is related to the inclusion of the separate cycle track.
- 1 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 2 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 3 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 4 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 5 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 6 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 7 Sandon mum's joy at publication of first novel
- 8 Aspiring young photographers take part in 'wild nature' competition
- 9 18 rescued from back of refrigerated lorry
- 10 £100m from This Land could be 'Never Land'