Underpass costs going up and up
As a local newspaper you have a duty to keep local people correctly informed about local issues. This becomes even more important when we, as rate payers, are paying the bills. Your page five story on the underpass project (Walking for a Better Deal, Crow
As a local newspaper you have a duty to keep local people correctly informed about local issues. This becomes even more important when we, as rate payers, are paying the bills.
Your page five story on the underpass project (Walking for a Better Deal, Crow July 9) was incorrect to say Sustrans are behind the �3.7million scheme to provide an underpass at Coombes Hole.
Sustrans involvement is offering �800,000 if a designated cycle path is included in a Herts County Council scheme for an underpass.
At the time the total budget was much lower and a crossing should have been completed by now. The cost has now risen to �3.7million, and is still rising. And that's before the project has even started.
You may also want to watch:
As Coombes Lane is heaped to the centre and not wide enough for current use and the cycle track, it's inclusion to get a grant should be looked at very closely. Is it even needed? Let alone worth the extra cost, delays, and legal trouble?
Its inclusion is the reason why ex-councillor Doug Drake did not see the underpass completed on a much smaller budget during his term in office and it may yet have toi be scrapped due to rising costs and legal trouble, most of which is related to the inclusion of the separate cycle track.
- 1 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 2 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 3 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 4 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 8 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 10 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services