Town centre future is starting to look bleak
CORRESPONDENTS in The Crow have been concerned in recent weeks about Royston town centre. This was highlighted again (Postbag, September 21) in the letter from Francis Savill and John Davies. Two weeks ago, in mid-week, my wife and I visited Ely, which
CORRESPONDENTS in The Crow have been concerned in recent weeks about Royston town centre.
This was highlighted again (Postbag, September 21) in the letter from Francis Savill and John Davies.
Two weeks ago, in mid-week, my wife and I visited Ely, which has more to offer than Royston with its beautiful cathedral.
Car parking was FREE of charge up to 23 hours. As a result, the town was thronging.
You may also want to watch:
Last Saturday, we visited Peckham in south London and had to queue to get into the car park at midday. People were still queuing when we left at 4 pm. The reason? Car parking is free in Peckham on Saturdays.
I cannot understand why Tesco wanted to extend its supermarket for such a small town. Nor can I understand why North Herts District Council gave it planning permission in the first place.
- 1 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 2 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 3 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 4 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 5 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 8 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 9 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
Perhaps it is the policy of the directors of Tesco to build supermarkets out of town and kill town centres? Sadly, with the rise in car parking charges, which have increased by 33 per cent on Market Hill, and the extension to Tesco, the survival of Royston town centre looks bleak.
I COULD not believe it when I saw last week's Royston Crow.
A local newspaper that has time and again featured the problems Royston is having because of the car park charges and the effect of Tesco, carrying a "wrap" advertising Tesco.
No other business in the town can afford to do this and Archant (Royston Crow's parent company) told me its hand was forced and it did not want this advert to go ahead.
I was told Tesco paid a high price for such a large advertisement, but the town traders are paying the biggest price and they got no publicity at all.
Tesco must be laughing its head off at the latest injury to Royston's traders it has managed to inflict with the help of Archant.
Will the Royston Crow soon be known as Royston Tescrow.
Editor's comment: The Crow accepted the advertisement from Tesco as it would be unreasonable to do otherwise.
It has to be pointed out, too, that in the past The Crow has carried many stories which have been critical of Tesco.
The Crow has supported the Royston Town Centre Forum - and will continue to do so - and had carried many positive stories about our town centre traders and the activities of the forum.