There is a need to justify costs of waste scheme
THE recently announced waste collection scheme seems to have some flawed thinking. I have no problem with a fortnightly collection, nor further separation of plastic waste. What I object to is that North Herts District Council will no longer collect all
THE recently announced waste collection scheme seems to have some flawed thinking. I have no problem with a fortnightly collection, nor further separation of plastic waste.
What I object to is that North Herts District Council will no longer collect all the waste which it currently does.
To accommodate the recycling of the separated plastic waste it intends to establish about 75 Bring Banks for ratepayers to carry it there themselves.
I cannot believe that the cost of establishing, managing, protecting against fly-tipping and emptying all these Bring Banks is going to be less than, for example, just supplying a simple open low-sided tipper truck that follows the bin lorry.
You may also want to watch:
It will also stop all the extra car journeys that ratepayers will inevitably make, and thus also contribute to an environmentally friendly waste policy, which is a main reason for the change in the first place.
In light of this, could a district councillor justify this Bring Bank policy both on the grounds of cost and service to ratepayers.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
NAME and ADDRESS SUPPLIED