There is a need to justify costs of waste scheme
THE recently announced waste collection scheme seems to have some flawed thinking. I have no problem with a fortnightly collection, nor further separation of plastic waste. What I object to is that North Herts District Council will no longer collect all
THE recently announced waste collection scheme seems to have some flawed thinking. I have no problem with a fortnightly collection, nor further separation of plastic waste.
What I object to is that North Herts District Council will no longer collect all the waste which it currently does.
To accommodate the recycling of the separated plastic waste it intends to establish about 75 Bring Banks for ratepayers to carry it there themselves.
I cannot believe that the cost of establishing, managing, protecting against fly-tipping and emptying all these Bring Banks is going to be less than, for example, just supplying a simple open low-sided tipper truck that follows the bin lorry.
You may also want to watch:
It will also stop all the extra car journeys that ratepayers will inevitably make, and thus also contribute to an environmentally friendly waste policy, which is a main reason for the change in the first place.
In light of this, could a district councillor justify this Bring Bank policy both on the grounds of cost and service to ratepayers.
- 1 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 2 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 3 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 4 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 5 Councillors gagged by threat of 'personal litigation' ahead of farmgate debate
- 6 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 7 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 8 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 9 COVID-19: Literary festival event to mark anniversary of first lockdown
- 10 'Utterly extraordinary' says Lib Dem leader of disgraced deputy leader's criticisms
NAME and ADDRESS SUPPLIED