THE Bahamas consists of more than 700 islands with the Caribbean paradise stretching out over an area of more than 500 miles. There is no shortage of activities, from energetic watersports to laid-back lounging. The islands, too, have a lively nightlife a
THE Bahamas consists of more than 700 islands with the Caribbean paradise stretching out over an area of more than 500 miles.
There is no shortage of activities, from energetic watersports to laid-back lounging.
The islands, too, have a lively nightlife and, obviously, endless miles of unspoilt beaches, tropical waters and all-year sunshine.
This month and next, The Bahamas festival of Junkanoo takes place, which is a blend of art, culture and music.
The event has a rich history which was started by the enslaved peoples on the islands and although it vanished after slavery was abolished it has over the years been revived.
WHERE TO STAY
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 8 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 9 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
THERE are more than 15,000 hotel rooms and the most popular islands are Nassau and Grand Bahama, which have the highest concentration of accommodation.
Nassau retains its colonial appeal, while Grand Bahama is seen as a holiday mecca, with Freeport and Lucaya being the centre of attraction.
For visitors with an interest in literature, the islands of North Bimini and South Bimini will prove popular. This is where Ernest Hemingway wrote Islands in the Stream and To Have and Have Not.
Flights to The Bahamas take nine hours from Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester.
The Bahamas have been used for the location for such films at Pirates of the Caribbean and several of the James Bond adventures.