Strawberry cream sponge
Ingredients 150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine 150g (6oz) caster sugar 3 medium eggs, well beaten 150g (6oz) self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla essence 7 tbsp strawberry jam 225g (8oz) strawberries 6 tbsp double cream Method PRE-hea
150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine
150g (6oz) caster sugar
3 medium eggs, well beaten
You may also want to watch:
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Lorry driver's dismay as 'booming' station announcements keep him awake after night work
- 2 Young archaeologist Jake's delight at historic heath find
- 3 Adopt a street and keep it clean by joining Royston Wombles scheme
- 4 Family remembers teacher Frank who taught many how to swim
- 5 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 6 Royston Cricket Club gearing up for a very busy season
- 7 Arts Society's members' exhibition set to be 'biggest online show yet'
- 8 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 9 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 10 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
7 tbsp strawberry jam
225g (8oz) strawberries
6 tbsp double cream
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 350 deg F. Grease and line the base of two 18cm (7in) diameter sandwich cake tins.
Cream the butter and sugar together until very light. Sift together the baking powder and flour. Beat the eggs a little at a time into the butter and sugar, then fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and vanilla essence.
Transfer equally to the tins, smoothing the tops, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Remove and cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the strawberry finish, spread 3 tbsps of the jam over one sponge cake. Hull and slice the strawberries thinly. Whip the cream well, mix with the outer slices of the strawberries and use to sandwich the cakes together, jam side inside.
Boil the rest of the jam to make a glaze, brush over the top of the cake and arrange the rest of the strawberry slices on top. Brush with the remaining glaze and leave to set.