Strawberry cream sponge
Ingredients 150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine 150g (6oz) caster sugar 3 medium eggs, well beaten 150g (6oz) self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla essence 7 tbsp strawberry jam 225g (8oz) strawberries 6 tbsp double cream Method PRE-hea
150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine
150g (6oz) caster sugar
3 medium eggs, well beaten
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 2 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 3 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'
- 6 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 Disruption to train lines between Royston and Cambridge
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Room at the inn for 1,000-mile charity trekker
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
7 tbsp strawberry jam
225g (8oz) strawberries
6 tbsp double cream
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 350 deg F. Grease and line the base of two 18cm (7in) diameter sandwich cake tins.
Cream the butter and sugar together until very light. Sift together the baking powder and flour. Beat the eggs a little at a time into the butter and sugar, then fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and vanilla essence.
Transfer equally to the tins, smoothing the tops, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Remove and cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the strawberry finish, spread 3 tbsps of the jam over one sponge cake. Hull and slice the strawberries thinly. Whip the cream well, mix with the outer slices of the strawberries and use to sandwich the cakes together, jam side inside.
Boil the rest of the jam to make a glaze, brush over the top of the cake and arrange the rest of the strawberry slices on top. Brush with the remaining glaze and leave to set.