Strawberry cream sponge
Ingredients 150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine 150g (6oz) caster sugar 3 medium eggs, well beaten 150g (6oz) self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla essence 7 tbsp strawberry jam 225g (8oz) strawberries 6 tbsp double cream Method PRE-hea
150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine
150g (6oz) caster sugar
3 medium eggs, well beaten
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 3 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 Children invited to take part in town trail for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Royston Scouts raise money to attend jamboree in Korea
- 7 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
- 8 Reed's National Village Cup hopes ended in nail-biting finale
- 9 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 10 Last veterans of the 6th Airborne Division honoured in poignant IWM Duxford exhibition
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
7 tbsp strawberry jam
225g (8oz) strawberries
6 tbsp double cream
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 350 deg F. Grease and line the base of two 18cm (7in) diameter sandwich cake tins.
Cream the butter and sugar together until very light. Sift together the baking powder and flour. Beat the eggs a little at a time into the butter and sugar, then fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and vanilla essence.
Transfer equally to the tins, smoothing the tops, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Remove and cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the strawberry finish, spread 3 tbsps of the jam over one sponge cake. Hull and slice the strawberries thinly. Whip the cream well, mix with the outer slices of the strawberries and use to sandwich the cakes together, jam side inside.
Boil the rest of the jam to make a glaze, brush over the top of the cake and arrange the rest of the strawberry slices on top. Brush with the remaining glaze and leave to set.