Strawberry cream sponge
Ingredients 150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine 150g (6oz) caster sugar 3 medium eggs, well beaten 150g (6oz) self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla essence 7 tbsp strawberry jam 225g (8oz) strawberries 6 tbsp double cream Method PRE-hea
150g (6oz) softened butter or margarine
150g (6oz) caster sugar
3 medium eggs, well beaten
You may also want to watch:
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 2 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 5 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 6 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 7 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 8 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Reed break run of defeats with hard-fought draw at Harpenden
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
7 tbsp strawberry jam
225g (8oz) strawberries
6 tbsp double cream
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 350 deg F. Grease and line the base of two 18cm (7in) diameter sandwich cake tins.
Cream the butter and sugar together until very light. Sift together the baking powder and flour. Beat the eggs a little at a time into the butter and sugar, then fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and vanilla essence.
Transfer equally to the tins, smoothing the tops, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen, golden and just firm to the touch. Remove and cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the strawberry finish, spread 3 tbsps of the jam over one sponge cake. Hull and slice the strawberries thinly. Whip the cream well, mix with the outer slices of the strawberries and use to sandwich the cakes together, jam side inside.
Boil the rest of the jam to make a glaze, brush over the top of the cake and arrange the rest of the strawberry slices on top. Brush with the remaining glaze and leave to set.