Steak and kidney casserole
Ingredients: 1.75kg (3lbs) chuck steak, in large chunks 125g (5oz) ox kidney 2 medium onions 1 tbsp plain flour 2 tbsps olive oil 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped Salt and pepper 1 red pepper 1 aubergine 75g (
1.75kg (3lbs) chuck steak, in large chunks
125g (5oz) ox kidney
2 medium onions
You may also want to watch:
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 3 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 4 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 5 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 6 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 7 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 8 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 9 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 10 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
Salt and pepper
1 red pepper
75g (3oz) flat mushrooms
550ml (1 pint) dark ale or stout (I used Theakston's Old Peculiar)
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 150 deg C, 325 deg F.
Peel and chop the onions. Chop the kidney into pieces and toss in flour. Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof casserole and add the onion and chuck steak.
Fry until the meat is sealed on all sides, then add the kidney, chilli and garlic and any remaining flour, stir to mix and fry for another couple of minutes.
Add the stout, salt and pepper, stir well, bring to the boil and cover.
Put the casserole in the pre-heated oven and cook for one-and-a-half hours.
You may need to add some boiling water if the liquid level begins to get too low.
De-seed the red pepper and cut into slices, cut the aubergine into chunks and the mushrooms into strips.Add the pepper, aubergines and mushrooms to the casserole, stir well and replace in the oven for a further 40 minutes. Serve hot. Plenty for six people.