Steak and kidney casserole
Ingredients: 1.75kg (3lbs) chuck steak, in large chunks 125g (5oz) ox kidney 2 medium onions 1 tbsp plain flour 2 tbsps olive oil 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped Salt and pepper 1 red pepper 1 aubergine 75g (
1.75kg (3lbs) chuck steak, in large chunks
125g (5oz) ox kidney
2 medium onions
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 2 Therfield pub celebrates lockdown heroes
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 5 World IBD Day: Crohn's disease sufferer speaks out
- 6 Royston Methodists welcome leading figures to church
- 7 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 8 Garden centre to host royal treat for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 Family-run bridalwear shop closes down after 23 years
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
Salt and pepper
1 red pepper
75g (3oz) flat mushrooms
550ml (1 pint) dark ale or stout (I used Theakston's Old Peculiar)
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 150 deg C, 325 deg F.
Peel and chop the onions. Chop the kidney into pieces and toss in flour. Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof casserole and add the onion and chuck steak.
Fry until the meat is sealed on all sides, then add the kidney, chilli and garlic and any remaining flour, stir to mix and fry for another couple of minutes.
Add the stout, salt and pepper, stir well, bring to the boil and cover.
Put the casserole in the pre-heated oven and cook for one-and-a-half hours.
You may need to add some boiling water if the liquid level begins to get too low.
De-seed the red pepper and cut into slices, cut the aubergine into chunks and the mushrooms into strips.Add the pepper, aubergines and mushrooms to the casserole, stir well and replace in the oven for a further 40 minutes. Serve hot. Plenty for six people.