Sorry, but town centre never looks like it’s going to win
I HAVE every sympathy with the shopkeepers in the town centre, but it is surely evident that the whole pattern of shopping is changing. When we first came to the area 30 years ago Royston shops, as in many towns, closed at 5pm or 5.30pm, had a half-day ea
I HAVE every sympathy with the shopkeepers in the town centre, but it is surely evident that the whole pattern of shopping is changing.
When we first came to the area 30 years ago Royston shops, as in many towns, closed at 5pm or 5.30pm, had a half-day early closing day, were often shut Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday.
That was often necessary for the small businesses if they were to enjoy a break, but now the population is told it needs to shop 24/7 and Tesco, in common with other superstores, offers that facility with almost non-stop opening and, what is more, free and capacious parking facilities.
It sometimes seems that if you stop in Royston for a moment a traffic warden descends on you.
You may also want to watch:
There are opportunities to park without charge if one is patient, but these are few and far between and sometimes necessitate a longish walk which is of no use to the less able.
The parking charges are excessive, but I have recently visited other towns where the car parks in the town centres are free and are packed.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
Sorry Royston, but while Tesco offers a huge range of goods and long opening hours and free parking then you are never going to win.
Chapmans Close, Melbourn