Sorry, but town centre never looks like it’s going to win
I HAVE every sympathy with the shopkeepers in the town centre, but it is surely evident that the whole pattern of shopping is changing. When we first came to the area 30 years ago Royston shops, as in many towns, closed at 5pm or 5.30pm, had a half-day ea
I HAVE every sympathy with the shopkeepers in the town centre, but it is surely evident that the whole pattern of shopping is changing.
When we first came to the area 30 years ago Royston shops, as in many towns, closed at 5pm or 5.30pm, had a half-day early closing day, were often shut Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday.
That was often necessary for the small businesses if they were to enjoy a break, but now the population is told it needs to shop 24/7 and Tesco, in common with other superstores, offers that facility with almost non-stop opening and, what is more, free and capacious parking facilities.
It sometimes seems that if you stop in Royston for a moment a traffic warden descends on you.
You may also want to watch:
There are opportunities to park without charge if one is patient, but these are few and far between and sometimes necessitate a longish walk which is of no use to the less able.
The parking charges are excessive, but I have recently visited other towns where the car parks in the town centres are free and are packed.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 10 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
Sorry Royston, but while Tesco offers a huge range of goods and long opening hours and free parking then you are never going to win.
Chapmans Close, Melbourn