Sessions report - From the Herts Quarter Sessions 1658-1700
- In the Act of 15 Charles II (1662-4), there is clause which provides that no persons or persons having occasion to pass any place where the Toll by the said Act are appointed with his or their coach, waggon or other carriage and return the same day sha
- In the Act of 15 Charles II (1662-4), there is clause which provides that "no persons or persons having occasion to pass any place where the Toll by the said Act are appointed with his or their coach, waggon or other carriage and return the same day shall pay the said Toll a second time.
The opinion of the Bench was desired on this clause, "whether any cart or waggon loaded that shall pass through the said toll late in the evening and shall return through the same early the next morning shall pay a second time". The Court is of the opinion that if the cart or waggon returns with twelve hours, it shall be deemed to be within the same day.
- July 10 1693.
- The Court is informed that Wadesmill Bridge, Standon Bridge, Buntingford Bridge and New Bridge in Westmill are so much out of repair that they will soon become impassable. Order made that William Plommer, of Buntingford, John Savell, of Wadesmill, John Hammond, of Westmill, and Thomas Etheridge, of Layston, shall view the bridges and make an estimate for their repair.
You may also want to watch:
- October 7, 1695.
- The person appointed at the last Sessions to view certain bridges reports that they have viewed them and find them much out of repair. About £20 has already spent upon necessary repairs and about £30 more is needed.
- 1 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 3 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 6 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- January 13, 1696.