School visits top class
Once again I would like to thank all those Royston Schools who have worked with us on the Town Council School Visits Initiative again this year. This is the third year running that County, District and Town Councillors have visited all seven of the firs
Once again I would like to thank all those Royston Schools who have worked with us on the Town Council "School Visits Initiative" again this year.
This is the third year running that County, District and Town Councillors have visited all seven of the first and middle schools and met with their respective School Councils and we have once again thoroughly enjoyed our time with the children, who have as always proved to be extremely interesting and well informed on local issues.
We have been able to explain to the children about the work that we do in local government and lively discussions have taken place about what it means to be a good citizen. It has also been very useful to hear and take serious note of, the things that the children would like to see happen in Royston, such as more play equipment for older children, a paddling pool, duck pond and water fountain in Priory Gardens, a Cinema, Bowling Alley, a wider range of shops, and an Indoor Play area to name but a few of the interesting ideas the children had. They also had one or two requests to the adults of the town, namely to please stop parking your cars and vans on the pavements as it makes it very difficult and dangerous for children to get around them and for parents to control their older children better because some of them intimidate and bully the younger ones when they are playing in the parks!
However, we were also pleased to hear that most of the children we spoke to liked living in Royston especially the "friendly people, open spaces and the high standards in their respective schools."
I shall be reporting on all these ideas and requests to both Town and District Councils who I know will pay close attention to the issues that the children have raised. I also know that I and my fellow Councillors will be immensely looking forward to next year, when our visits can begin again!
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
Cllr Lindsay Davidson
Royston Town Council