Sarah Jane going Over the Rainbow in Eva Cassidy musical
THE life and work of tragic singer Eva Cassidy is being celebrated in a new musical being performed in Cambridge. Hollyoaks actress Sarah Jane Buckley stars as Cassidy in Over the Rainbow, which is coming to the Cambridge Corn Exchange on February 17. Ame
THE life and work of tragic singer Eva Cassidy is being celebrated in a new musical being performed in Cambridge.
Hollyoaks actress Sarah Jane Buckley stars as Cassidy in Over the Rainbow, which is coming to the Cambridge Corn Exchange on February 17.
American singer Cassidy worked with several bands in the Washington area throughout the 80's and early 90's, but was unable to find a record label to release her solo work.
She died of cancer in September 1996, eight months after recording her Live at Blues Alley record, which she planned to release independently.
You may also want to watch:
After remaining relatively anonymous for a couple of years after her death, a collection of her songs was passed onto Terry Wogan, who played them on his Radio Two show. The album in question, Songbird, became massively popular as a result, attaining quadruple-platinum status in the UK and going gold in the States.
Subsequently a number of collections of Cassidy's work have been released, featuring songs such as Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World.
- 1 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man seriously injured in three-car crash between Barley and Royston
The musical journeys through Eva's life, from her idyllic childhood growing up in a musical family, to her studio work with boyfriend and mentor Chris Biondo; to the exuberant live recording of Blues Alley and finally to her tragically premature death at the age of only 33 years.
Over the Rainbow has now received standing ovations throughout the UK and Ireland and was a huge hit in Holland, winning 'Best Production of the Year' at their national theatre awards.
The cast is led by Buckley, who is best known for playing "barmy Barnsey" - mum Kathy Barnes - in Channel Four series Hollyoaks, a role which she filled for four years.
She is also a regular guest on ITV show Loose Women, and recently filmed a part in an upcoming film, Kicks, in which she plays a mum with a taste for younger men.
Another familiar face in the cast for television viewers is David Paisley, who fulfilled the role of Ben in Casualty and Holby City. He plays Eva's brother, Danny, with Donna Hazleton, whose CV includes a West End appearance as Momma Morton in Chicago, stepping into the shoes of her mother, Barbara.
Over the Rainbow comes to the Corn Exchange on February 17.
Tickets are �18.50 and �16.50 available from the box office on 01223 357851 or online at www.cornex.co.uk. The show begins at 7.30pm.