SOME nine million people visit San Francisco each year. It is a city which was was built on 43 hills and for this reason it has become known throughout the world for its steep curving streets. Indeed, Vermont Avenue between 22nd Street and 23 Street is
SOME nine million people visit San Francisco each year.
It is a city which was was built on 43 hills and for this reason it has become known throughout the world for its steep curving streets.
Indeed, Vermont Avenue between 22nd Street and 23 Street is the most crocked and Filbert Street between Hyde Street and Leavenworth Street is the steepest.
It reminds visitors of Steve McQueen and the car chase scene in Bullit.
You may also want to watch:
But there is, obviously, more to San Francisco.
The city gained its reputation in the 1840 when gold was discovered in the area and is remembered, too, for the earthquake of 1906. It was after that the city really began to take shape.
- 1 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 2 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 3 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 4 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 5 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 6 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 7 COVID-19: Literary festival event to mark anniversary of first lockdown
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 10 Councillors gagged by threat of 'personal litigation' ahead of farmgate debate
In 1937, work on the Golden Gate Bridge was completed and in the middle of the bay lies Alcatraz, the notorious prison which is now open to visitors.
One place to visit in San Francisco is Chinatown - and between Grant Street and Stockton Street there are the Chinatown alleys which really create the essence of the area.
WHERE TO STAY
There are plenty of places to stay in San Francisco, from hotels to seriously luxurious spars.
San Francisco has a reputation for good food, and there is a restaurant on almost every corner.