FEW places have captured the imagination as much as San Francisco. Whether it is from the days of seeing the car chase in Bullit, or remembering Flower Power, the city has always seemed to be at the centre of attraction. And although San Franciso is a 20t
FEW places have captured the imagination as much as San Francisco.
Whether it is from the days of seeing the car chase in Bullit, or remembering Flower Power, the city has always seemed to be at the centre of attraction.
And although San Franciso is a 20th century city, it is not short of culture.
There is the distinctly un-western atmosphere of Chinatown, which visitors will see as a vibrant community, while the North Beach is an area which started as an Italian quarter and gave birth to the beat poets movement in the 1950s.
You may also want to watch:
Visitors should take a ride in one of the scenic cable cars up the city's steeper hills.
In the evening there is the South Market area, which by day is a warehouse district, but in the night, becomes the centre for clubbing.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 6 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 7 Royston Arts Festival committee overcomes COVID difficulties to bring back events
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 10 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
WHERE TO STAY
The city has a range of accommodation, but it is advisable to book, as it can be crowded during the tourist season.
Fisherman's Wharf is a popular area, and as well as being the gateway for trips to Alcatraz, it is close to the Maritime Museum and historic Ship Pier.
San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge crosses the two-mile wide mouth of the bay, and is seen as the symbol of the city. When it was completed in 1937, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world.