FEW places have captured the imagination as much as San Francisco. Whether it is from the days of seeing the car chase in Bullit, or remembering Flower Power, the city has always seemed to be at the centre of attraction. And although San Franciso is a 20t
FEW places have captured the imagination as much as San Francisco.
Whether it is from the days of seeing the car chase in Bullit, or remembering Flower Power, the city has always seemed to be at the centre of attraction.
And although San Franciso is a 20th century city, it is not short of culture.
There is the distinctly un-western atmosphere of Chinatown, which visitors will see as a vibrant community, while the North Beach is an area which started as an Italian quarter and gave birth to the beat poets movement in the 1950s.
Visitors should take a ride in one of the scenic cable cars up the city's steeper hills.
In the evening there is the South Market area, which by day is a warehouse district, but in the night, becomes the centre for clubbing.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
WHERE TO STAY
The city has a range of accommodation, but it is advisable to book, as it can be crowded during the tourist season.
Fisherman's Wharf is a popular area, and as well as being the gateway for trips to Alcatraz, it is close to the Maritime Museum and historic Ship Pier.
San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge crosses the two-mile wide mouth of the bay, and is seen as the symbol of the city. When it was completed in 1937, it was the longest suspension bridge in the world.