Saffron lamb with carrots and celery
Ingredients 900g (2lb) shoulder of lamb, cubed 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed 1 tsp ground ginger a large pinch of saffron strands 1/2 tsp turmeric 3 tbsps olive oil 3 tbsps fresh coriander 1 onion, peeled and chopped salt and black pepper 4 sticks o
900g (2lb) shoulder of lamb, cubed
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground ginger
You may also want to watch:
a large pinch of saffron strands
1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 4 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 5 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 6 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 7 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 10 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
3 tbsps olive oil
3 tbsps fresh coriander
1 onion, peeled and chopped
salt and black pepper
4 sticks of celery
450g (1lb) carrots
50g (2oz) stoned black olives
4 tbsps lemon juice
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 160 deg C, 325 deg F.
Soak the saffron strands in a little hot water for a few minutes until you have a yellow liquid. In an ovenproof casserole, mix together the cubed meat, garlic, turmeric, saffron water, ginger, coriander and onion.
Season with salt and pepper, cover with 300ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, stir well, cover and cook in the pre-heated oven for 11/2 hours, stirring occasionally if possible. Add a little water if it gets too dry.
Wash the celery stalks well and peel off any strings. Cut into chunks. Peel the carrots and cut into chunks.
Add the vegetables to the casserole and continue to cook for 20 minutes, then add the lemon juice and olives, stir well and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Serve straight away with rice or potatoes.