Saffron lamb with carrots and celery
Ingredients 900g (2lb) shoulder of lamb, cubed 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed 1 tsp ground ginger a large pinch of saffron strands 1/2 tsp turmeric 3 tbsps olive oil 3 tbsps fresh coriander 1 onion, peeled and chopped salt and black pepper 4 sticks o
900g (2lb) shoulder of lamb, cubed
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground ginger
a large pinch of saffron strands
1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 8 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
3 tbsps olive oil
3 tbsps fresh coriander
1 onion, peeled and chopped
salt and black pepper
4 sticks of celery
450g (1lb) carrots
50g (2oz) stoned black olives
4 tbsps lemon juice
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 160 deg C, 325 deg F.
Soak the saffron strands in a little hot water for a few minutes until you have a yellow liquid. In an ovenproof casserole, mix together the cubed meat, garlic, turmeric, saffron water, ginger, coriander and onion.
Season with salt and pepper, cover with 300ml water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, stir well, cover and cook in the pre-heated oven for 11/2 hours, stirring occasionally if possible. Add a little water if it gets too dry.
Wash the celery stalks well and peel off any strings. Cut into chunks. Peel the carrots and cut into chunks.
Add the vegetables to the casserole and continue to cook for 20 minutes, then add the lemon juice and olives, stir well and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Serve straight away with rice or potatoes.