Sad reflection of our times
RECENTLY an official Post Office card arrived informing me that a letter was being held at the Royston sorting office as its first-class stamp was inadequate – an extra 5 pence was required together with a handling charge of £1. These charges needed to be
RECENTLY an official Post Office card arrived informing me that a letter was being held at the Royston sorting office as its first-class stamp was inadequate - an extra 5 pence was required together with a handling charge of £1.
These charges needed to be paid before the letter could be released.
On phoning the sorting office, I learned that the letter - a greetings card - although within the weight and size of designated letter post, was just over the prescribed 5mm thickness and was classed as large letter: hence the surcharge.
I consider the £1 handling charge outrageous, especially as I am virtually housebound and need someone to collect it for me or buy the necessary stamps to pay the charge.
You may also want to watch:
I consider it a sad reflection of the times that two elderly ladies cannot enjoy the pleasure of exchanging hand-made greetings cards without resorting to electronic scales and cardboard templates.
- 1 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 2 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 5 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 6 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 7 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 8 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Reed break run of defeats with hard-fought draw at Harpenden
Royston Road, Litlington