WHICHEVER way you look at it, Rome is a breathtaking city. From the Colosseum and the Roman ruins to The Vatican, there is a sight around every corner – and they are looking more magnificent than ever because of an extensive restoration project. Central R
WHICHEVER way you look at it, Rome is a breathtaking city.
From the Colosseum and the Roman ruins to The Vatican, there is a sight around every corner - and they are looking more magnificent than ever because of an extensive restoration project.
Central Rome is a chaotic labyrinth of streets, and is not always easy to navigate.
But the river Tiber runs through the heart of the city, and visitors cannot get lost as long as they remember that The Vatican is to the west of river and all other major sites are to the east.
You may also want to watch:
The highlight of a visit to Rome is the Colosseum, which for 450 years was the centre of gladiatorial contests.
Just by walking around the outside, a visitor will get a good impression of the building, but it is once inside, when the seating areas and the other structures come into view, that the enormity of the Colosseum is appreciated.
- 1 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 2 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 3 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 4 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 5 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 8 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 9 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
The Pantheon is seen as a place that shows the splendour, harmony, and elegance of Roman architecture
WHERE TO STAY
Rome has a wide range of accommodation and the busiest period is usually from Easter until the end of October.
Rome did not become capital of Italy until 1870.