WHICHEVER way you look at it, Rome is a breathtaking city. From the Colosseum and the Roman ruins to The Vatican, there is a sight around every corner – and they are looking more magnificent than ever because of an extensive restoration project. Central R
WHICHEVER way you look at it, Rome is a breathtaking city.
From the Colosseum and the Roman ruins to The Vatican, there is a sight around every corner - and they are looking more magnificent than ever because of an extensive restoration project.
Central Rome is a chaotic labyrinth of streets, and is not always easy to navigate.
But the river Tiber runs through the heart of the city, and visitors cannot get lost as long as they remember that The Vatican is to the west of river and all other major sites are to the east.
You may also want to watch:
The highlight of a visit to Rome is the Colosseum, which for 450 years was the centre of gladiatorial contests.
Just by walking around the outside, a visitor will get a good impression of the building, but it is once inside, when the seating areas and the other structures come into view, that the enormity of the Colosseum is appreciated.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
The Pantheon is seen as a place that shows the splendour, harmony, and elegance of Roman architecture
WHERE TO STAY
Rome has a wide range of accommodation and the busiest period is usually from Easter until the end of October.
Rome did not become capital of Italy until 1870.