Ingredients: 1kg (2lb) piece of venison (haunch or saddle) 400g (12oz) plain flour 150g (3oz) unsalted butter salt and pepper Venison is a super meat to cook over the festive period. As it has very little fat, it is much better cooked sealed up so that t
1kg (2lb) piece of venison (haunch or saddle)
400g (12oz) plain flour
150g (3oz) unsalted butter
You may also want to watch:
salt and pepper
Venison is a super meat to cook over the festive period. As it has very little fat, it is much better cooked sealed up so that the juices stay with the meat. Incidentally, the pastry case is not for eating, just for cooking the meat in. You don't get any gravy, but you do get succulent meat. Allow 8oz (250g) per person for a good helping. Serve with redcurrant jelly for a traditional meal.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200 deg C, 400 deg F.
Put the flour in a mixing bowl and add cold water, mixing with your hands until you have a softish, but not too wet, dough. Roll out on a floured surface to a rectangle to fit round the piece of venison. Wipe the meat and smear it with the softened butter, salt and pepper.
Place the meat on the dough and wrap it up, pinching the dough to seal completely. Put the wrapped venison in a roasting tin and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 340 deg F and cook for an hour. Break open the pastry case and remove the meat to serve.