Roast chicken with summer herbs
Ingredients A fresh roasting chicken, free-range preferably A large bunch of fresh herbs, including thyme, rosemary and tarragon if possible 45g (1 1/2 oz) unsalted butter 250ml (8 fl oz) white wine 250ml (8 fl oz) stock or water salt and pepper Method P
A fresh roasting chicken, free-range preferably
A large bunch of fresh herbs, including thyme, rosemary and tarragon if possible
45g (1 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
You may also want to watch:
250ml (8 fl oz) white wine
250ml (8 fl oz) stock or water
- 1 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 2 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 3 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 4 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 5 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 6 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 7 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 8 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Reed break run of defeats with hard-fought draw at Harpenden
salt and pepper
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5, 190 deg C, 375 deg F.
Wash the herbs well and dry, put half the herbs into the cavity of the chicken.
Heat most of the butter in a roasting dish, then use to brush all over the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper and put the chicken in the oven in its roasting dish. Roast for one-and-a-quarter hours or making sure the chicken is well cooked through, then remove to a hot carving dish and allow to rest for a few minutes. Chop the remaining herbs finely. Skim any surplus fat from the roasting dish, add the white wine and stock with the rest of the herbs and salt to taste.
Bring to the boil and reduce somewhat, then add the remaining butter and serve hot with the carved chicken.