Roast chicken with summer herbs
Ingredients A fresh roasting chicken, free-range preferably A large bunch of fresh herbs, including thyme, rosemary and tarragon if possible 45g (1 1/2 oz) unsalted butter 250ml (8 fl oz) white wine 250ml (8 fl oz) stock or water salt and pepper Method P
A fresh roasting chicken, free-range preferably
A large bunch of fresh herbs, including thyme, rosemary and tarragon if possible
45g (1 1/2 oz) unsalted butter
250ml (8 fl oz) white wine
250ml (8 fl oz) stock or water
- 1 Businessman talks overcoming mental health struggles and drug addiction
- 2 Advice to residents as COVID-19 cases spike in Royston
- 3 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 4 Garden centre introduces quiet grottos for children with autism
- 5 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 6 Happy Mondays to open 2022 UK tour with Cambridge Corn Exchange date
- 7 Passenger, Seasick Steve and Suzanne Vega among first acts announced for Cambridge Folk Festival 2022
- 8 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 9 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 10 Royston town mayor praises community spirit in Christmas message
salt and pepper
Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 5, 190 deg C, 375 deg F.
Wash the herbs well and dry, put half the herbs into the cavity of the chicken.
Heat most of the butter in a roasting dish, then use to brush all over the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper and put the chicken in the oven in its roasting dish. Roast for one-and-a-quarter hours or making sure the chicken is well cooked through, then remove to a hot carving dish and allow to rest for a few minutes. Chop the remaining herbs finely. Skim any surplus fat from the roasting dish, add the white wine and stock with the rest of the herbs and salt to taste.
Bring to the boil and reduce somewhat, then add the remaining butter and serve hot with the carved chicken.