Rice with dates and almonds
Ingredients: 280g (10oz) white long-grain rice 100g (4oz) blanched almonds, halved 100g (4oz) unsalted butter 50g (2oz) raisins 100g (4oz) unstoned dates, fresh or dried salt Method: THIS is an unusual rice dish which goes well with chicken or roast meat.
280g (10oz) white long-grain rice
100g (4oz) blanched almonds, halved
100g (4oz) unsalted butter
You may also want to watch:
50g (2oz) raisins
100g (4oz) unstoned dates, fresh or dried
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 8 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 9 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
THIS is an unusual rice dish which goes well with chicken or roast meat. Serves six.
Rinse the rice and boil in plenty of salted water until it is almost, but not quite, soft. Pour into a sieve and rinse in boiling water to remove starch.
Fry the almonds in half the butter until golden. Add the raisins and dates and stir gently over moderate heat for a few minutes, then add 4fl oz water and simmer gently for a further 10min until the dates are soft and the water absorbed.
Melt 25g (1oz) butter in a large saucepan and add half the rice. Spread the date and almond mixture over the top and cover with the remaining rice.
Top with the rest of the butter cut into small pieces. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook over a very low heat or in a low oven for a further 20min.