Rice cooked with whole spices
Ingredients: 250g (8oz) white or brown Basmati rice 1 tbsp vegetable oil 4 whole cloves 6 black peppercorns 3 green cardamom pods 1 piece of cinnamon stick 2 bay leaves 1 tsp salt Method: RINSE the rice in a sieve under cold running water, drain well. He
250g (8oz) white or brown Basmati rice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 whole cloves
You may also want to watch:
6 black peppercorns
3 green cardamom pods
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 7 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 8 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 9 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 10 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
1 piece of cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
RINSE the rice in a sieve under cold running water, drain well. Heat the oil in a saucepan and when hot, add the whole spices.
Fry for about 10 seconds, then add the rice and fry, stirring, until the grains are coated with oil.
Add 12 fl oz water and the salt. Stir well and bring to the boil.
Cover tightly and reduce the heat to very low.
Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice grains have absorbed all the water and are soft.
Just remember to avoid eating the spices whole when you serve this: they are easy to spot.
This amount will serve four people.