Rice cooked with whole spices
Ingredients: 250g (8oz) white or brown Basmati rice 1 tbsp vegetable oil 4 whole cloves 6 black peppercorns 3 green cardamom pods 1 piece of cinnamon stick 2 bay leaves 1 tsp salt Method: RINSE the rice in a sieve under cold running water, drain well. He
250g (8oz) white or brown Basmati rice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 whole cloves
You may also want to watch:
6 black peppercorns
3 green cardamom pods
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
1 piece of cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
RINSE the rice in a sieve under cold running water, drain well. Heat the oil in a saucepan and when hot, add the whole spices.
Fry for about 10 seconds, then add the rice and fry, stirring, until the grains are coated with oil.
Add 12 fl oz water and the salt. Stir well and bring to the boil.
Cover tightly and reduce the heat to very low.
Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice grains have absorbed all the water and are soft.
Just remember to avoid eating the spices whole when you serve this: they are easy to spot.
This amount will serve four people.