Rice cooked with whole spices
Ingredients: 250g (8oz) white or brown Basmati rice 1 tbsp vegetable oil 4 whole cloves 6 black peppercorns 3 green cardamom pods 1 piece of cinnamon stick 2 bay leaves 1 tsp salt Method: RINSE the rice in a sieve under cold running water, drain well. He
250g (8oz) white or brown Basmati rice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 whole cloves
You may also want to watch:
6 black peppercorns
3 green cardamom pods
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 4 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 5 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 6 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 7 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
- 10 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
1 piece of cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
RINSE the rice in a sieve under cold running water, drain well. Heat the oil in a saucepan and when hot, add the whole spices.
Fry for about 10 seconds, then add the rice and fry, stirring, until the grains are coated with oil.
Add 12 fl oz water and the salt. Stir well and bring to the boil.
Cover tightly and reduce the heat to very low.
Cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice grains have absorbed all the water and are soft.
Just remember to avoid eating the spices whole when you serve this: they are easy to spot.
This amount will serve four people.