Rhubarb and Cinnamon Pie
For the pastry: 275g (10oz) plain flour 135g (5oz) unsalted butter 25g (1oz) caster sugar 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 egg yolk Filling: 700g (1. lbs) rhubarb, washed and cut into chunks 150g (6oz) light brown sugar 2 tsp ground cinnamon caster sugar to glaze
For the pastry:
275g (10oz) plain flour
135g (5oz) unsalted butter
25g (1oz) caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg yolk
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 3 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 5 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
700g (11/2 lbs) rhubarb, washed and cut into chunks
150g (6oz) light brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
caster sugar to glaze
PRE-heat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 425 deg F, 220 deg C.
Sieve the flour into a bowl and lightly rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Add the egg yolk and sufficient water to bind together into a firm dough.
Knead lightly, turn onto a floured board and roll half the pastry into a round. Use to line a greased pie plate about 20cm diameter (8in).
Cut the rhubarb into short lengths and mix well with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Pile onto the pastry, leaving a gap all round.
Roll out the remaining piece of pastry and cover the pie, damping the edges and pressing well to seal all round. Cut a slit in the centre to let the steam out. Glaze with a little sugar and water syrup. Bake the pie in the heated oven for about 30 minutes, until the crust is brown and the fruit tender.
Serve the pie hot with cream or a custard sauce.