Report from the Front - The Great War diary of Jack Halstead
# Battery parade inspection by CO Major O Connell. The major was an old soldier who had seen plenty of service in France before joining us. O Connell made a speech: You are now going to the Ypres Saliet, you are about to take part in the greatest battl
# Battery parade inspection by CO Major O'Connell. The major was an old soldier who had seen plenty of service in France before joining us. O'Connell made a speech: "You are now going to the Ypres Saliet, you are about to take part in the greatest battle in the war and it will be the final battle.
"The enemy will be pushed over the Pilkem and Passchendale ridges and then we will walk through.
"Gas and continous shelling you will experience. By your side will be England's most famous regiments. You will cover the Guards."
Apart from the major's speech we knew full well what was in store for us: sure of the terrors of the salient. But what did it matter, we would not be the only battery there.
You may also want to watch:
- 2 September, 1917.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Covid jabs update: 'Bring us closer to freedom' plea