Report from the Front - The Great War diary of Jack Halstead
# Battery parade inspection by CO Major O Connell. The major was an old soldier who had seen plenty of service in France before joining us. O Connell made a speech: You are now going to the Ypres Saliet, you are about to take part in the greatest battl
# Battery parade inspection by CO Major O'Connell. The major was an old soldier who had seen plenty of service in France before joining us. O'Connell made a speech: "You are now going to the Ypres Saliet, you are about to take part in the greatest battle in the war and it will be the final battle.
"The enemy will be pushed over the Pilkem and Passchendale ridges and then we will walk through.
"Gas and continous shelling you will experience. By your side will be England's most famous regiments. You will cover the Guards."
Apart from the major's speech we knew full well what was in store for us: sure of the terrors of the salient. But what did it matter, we would not be the only battery there.
You may also want to watch:
- 2 September, 1917.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 9 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe