Report from the Front - The Great War diary of Jack Halstead
# Battery parade inspection by CO Major O Connell. The major was an old soldier who had seen plenty of service in France before joining us. O Connell made a speech: You are now going to the Ypres Saliet, you are about to take part in the greatest battl
# Battery parade inspection by CO Major O'Connell. The major was an old soldier who had seen plenty of service in France before joining us. O'Connell made a speech: "You are now going to the Ypres Saliet, you are about to take part in the greatest battle in the war and it will be the final battle.
"The enemy will be pushed over the Pilkem and Passchendale ridges and then we will walk through.
"Gas and continous shelling you will experience. By your side will be England's most famous regiments. You will cover the Guards."
Apart from the major's speech we knew full well what was in store for us: sure of the terrors of the salient. But what did it matter, we would not be the only battery there.
You may also want to watch:
- 2 September, 1917.
- 1 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 2 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 3 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 4 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 5 Councillors gagged by threat of 'personal litigation' ahead of farmgate debate
- 6 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 7 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 8 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 9 COVID-19: Literary festival event to mark anniversary of first lockdown
- 10 'Utterly extraordinary' says Lib Dem leader of disgraced deputy leader's criticisms