Red cabbage casserole
Ingredients Half a large or one small red cabbage 2 medium red onions 1 large orange 50g (2oz) raisins 50g (2oz) chopped walnuts 50g (2oz) unsalted butter 3 tsps granulated sugar 2 tbsp red wine vinegar 200ml (7 fl oz) stock or water salt & pepper Method
Half a large or one small red cabbage
2 medium red onions
1 large orange
You may also want to watch:
50g (2oz) raisins
50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 9 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 10 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
50g (2oz) unsalted butter
3 tsps granulated sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
200ml (7 fl oz) stock or water
salt & pepper
Slice the onions and brown in the butter in a heavy-bottomed casserole or large saucepan over medium heat.
Grate the rind from the orange finely, and squeeze the juice. Shred the red cabbage, discarding the core. Add the cabbage, orange juice and rind, sugar, vinegar, seasoning and stock or water to the casserole and mix thoroughly. Cover tightly.
Either cook slowly on top of the stove on a low heat or transfer to the oven heated to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 340 deg F, until cooked through (about 30 - 45 minutes).
Add the walnuts and raisins after 20 minutes cooking time. Give the cabbage a stir from time.