Red cabbage casserole
Ingredients Half a large or one small red cabbage 2 medium red onions 1 large orange 50g (2oz) raisins 50g (2oz) chopped walnuts 50g (2oz) unsalted butter 3 tsps granulated sugar 2 tbsp red wine vinegar 200ml (7 fl oz) stock or water salt & pepper Method
Half a large or one small red cabbage
2 medium red onions
1 large orange
You may also want to watch:
50g (2oz) raisins
50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 MP calls for illegal parking clamp-down, as council makes civil enforcement plans
- 2 Sunset Starlight Walk returning after year of cancelled events for hospice
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Police force welcomes plans for council to tackle parking woes
- 5 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 6 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 7 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 8 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 9 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
50g (2oz) unsalted butter
3 tsps granulated sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
200ml (7 fl oz) stock or water
salt & pepper
Slice the onions and brown in the butter in a heavy-bottomed casserole or large saucepan over medium heat.
Grate the rind from the orange finely, and squeeze the juice. Shred the red cabbage, discarding the core. Add the cabbage, orange juice and rind, sugar, vinegar, seasoning and stock or water to the casserole and mix thoroughly. Cover tightly.
Either cook slowly on top of the stove on a low heat or transfer to the oven heated to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 340 deg F, until cooked through (about 30 - 45 minutes).
Add the walnuts and raisins after 20 minutes cooking time. Give the cabbage a stir from time.