Red cabbage casserole
Ingredients Half a large or one small red cabbage 2 medium red onions 1 large orange 50g (2oz) raisins 50g (2oz) chopped walnuts 50g (2oz) unsalted butter 3 tsps granulated sugar 2 tbsp red wine vinegar 200ml (7 fl oz) stock or water salt & pepper Method
Half a large or one small red cabbage
2 medium red onions
1 large orange
You may also want to watch:
50g (2oz) raisins
50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 7 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 8 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 9 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
50g (2oz) unsalted butter
3 tsps granulated sugar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
200ml (7 fl oz) stock or water
salt & pepper
Slice the onions and brown in the butter in a heavy-bottomed casserole or large saucepan over medium heat.
Grate the rind from the orange finely, and squeeze the juice. Shred the red cabbage, discarding the core. Add the cabbage, orange juice and rind, sugar, vinegar, seasoning and stock or water to the casserole and mix thoroughly. Cover tightly.
Either cook slowly on top of the stove on a low heat or transfer to the oven heated to Gas Mark 4, 175 deg C, 340 deg F, until cooked through (about 30 - 45 minutes).
Add the walnuts and raisins after 20 minutes cooking time. Give the cabbage a stir from time.