Pot-roast pork shoulder with sweet-sour sauce
Ingredients Joint of shoulder of pork, about 1.5kg is enough for six 2 garlic cloves 2 shallots 2 tsp sugar 2 tbsps soy sauce 1/2 tsp five-spice powder 1/2 tsp salt black pepper 2 tbsps vegetable oil or lard Method Peel the garlic and shallots and crush
Joint of shoulder of pork, about 1.5kg is enough for six
2 garlic cloves
You may also want to watch:
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsps vegetable oil or lard
Peel the garlic and shallots and crush together, mixing with the sugar, soy sauce and five-spice powder, salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a large casserole or pan with a lid, brown the meat all over.
Add the spice mixture and spread well over the meat.
Add 2 fl oz water to the pan, cover tightly and turn the heat down to medium/low.
Cook the pork gently for one-and-a-half to two hours, or until well cooked through.
Turn the joint over from time to time, adding a little extra water if necessary.
When the meat is done, put it on a hot carving plate.
Blend the remaining juices to make a gravy and serve with the meat.