Peas with onions and lettuce
Ingredients 450g (1lb) new peas, shelled 1 Little Gem lettuce 3 shallots 50g (2oz) unsalted butter 1 tsp sugar salt and pepper to taste Method THIS recipe is really good when made with young, tender new peas, one of the nicest of our English summer veget
450g (1lb) new peas, shelled
1 Little Gem lettuce
50g (2oz) unsalted butter
1 tsp sugar
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 3 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 4 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 5 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 6 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 7 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Royston Photographic Society announces latest competition winners
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
salt and pepper to taste
THIS recipe is really good when made with young, tender new peas, one of the nicest of our English summer vegetables.
Wash and shred the lettuce, peel and halve the shallots.
Put them with the peas in a saucepan, just cover with water and add the sugar and a little salt.
Bring to the boil and cook uncovered until the peas are just tender.
Drain them and return to the rinsed-out saucepan with the butter.
Let the vegetables stew gently in the butter for a few minutes to finish them off.