Pasta baked with aubergines
Ingredients 450g (1lb) penne or short pasta 2 aubergines 2 garlic cloves, crushed 1 medium onion, chopped 6 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for deep-frying 900g (2lb) fresh or canned plum tomatoes 2 tbsp unsalted butter 30g (1oz) flour 16 fl oz milk 120g (4o
450g (1lb) penne or short pasta
2 garlic cloves, crushed
You may also want to watch:
1/2 medium onion, chopped
6 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 3 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 10 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
900g (2lb) fresh or canned plum tomatoes
2 tbsp unsalted butter
30g (1oz) flour
16 fl oz milk
120g (4oz) grated Parmesan
a handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper
THIS makes a good supper dish or starter for a dinner party. Enough for six.
Saute the onion and garlic in 4 tbsp oil over low heat until soft, then add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until you have a thickish sauce, about 30-40 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil for deep-frying in a large pan. Add the aubergines, cut into slices, and fry until golden, then drain on paper towels.
In a non-stick pan, melt the butter, add the flour and stir well.
Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly and bring to the boil. Add 2/3 of the grated Parmesan with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and boil until only just soft, drain and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil. Cover the bottom of an ovenproof casserole with 1/3 of the tomato sauce, then layers of pasta, cheese sauce, aubergine, finishing with basil leaves.
Repeat the layers once more, then top with the rest of the tomato sauce and sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan on top.Transfer to a pre-heated oven, 180 deg C/350 deg F/Gas Mark 4, for 20 minutes, until bubbling.