Onion and almond soup
Ingredients 4 tbsp olive oil 6 medium-sized onions, red or white, thinly sliced 21/2 pints water or chicken stock 180g (6oz) ground almonds 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp grated nutmeg 2 tbsp crushed almond biscuits (Italian amaretti are best) salt and pepp
4 tbsp olive oil
6 medium-sized onions, red or white, thinly sliced
21/2 pints water or chicken stock
180g (6oz) ground almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 2 William and Kate unveil their first official portrait at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 3 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 4 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 7 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tbsp crushed almond biscuits (Italian amaretti are best)
salt and pepper
IN a large saucepan heat the olive oil, add the onions and saute over low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the water or stock and the almonds and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Process the soup in batches in a blender, adding the spices and crushed amaretti biscuits.
Return to the saucepan and reheat until boiling.
Serve at once, floating an amaretto in the centre of each bowl for decoration.