Onion and almond soup
Ingredients 4 tbsp olive oil 6 medium-sized onions, red or white, thinly sliced 21/2 pints water or chicken stock 180g (6oz) ground almonds 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp grated nutmeg 2 tbsp crushed almond biscuits (Italian amaretti are best) salt and pepp
4 tbsp olive oil
6 medium-sized onions, red or white, thinly sliced
21/2 pints water or chicken stock
You may also want to watch:
180g (6oz) ground almonds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tbsp crushed almond biscuits (Italian amaretti are best)
salt and pepper
IN a large saucepan heat the olive oil, add the onions and saute over low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the water or stock and the almonds and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Process the soup in batches in a blender, adding the spices and crushed amaretti biscuits.
Return to the saucepan and reheat until boiling.
Serve at once, floating an amaretto in the centre of each bowl for decoration.