THIS week s All Our Yesterdays photograph was taken in the late 1930s. It shows the contestants taking part in a Miss Royston contest, which was run as one of the events during the celebrations of the coronation of George VII in 1937. The choice of Miss R
THIS week's All Our Yesterdays photograph was taken in the late 1930s.
It shows the contestants taking part in a Miss Royston contest, which was run as one of the events during the celebrations of the coronation of George VII in 1937.
The choice of Miss Royston, which The Crow reported at the time as arousing "great local interest," was run on the basis of a trial.
Each contestant had a "barrister" who would argue their case. Some 21 women were attracted to the competition which took place in a packed Royston Town Hall on April 17, 1937.
You may also want to watch:
The eventual winner became Carnival Queen for Coronation Day and led a procession around the town.
The Crow reported that it was "one of the most original and longest processions" in the history of Royston.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 7 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- If you have any photographs of events from the past then call The Crow on 01763 245241.