Ingredients Two small or one large lettuce 1 small onion 20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water 5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk 25g (1oz) unsalted butter a little cream to finish 1 tbsp chives salt and pepper Method Separate the lettuce leaves and wash
Two small or one large lettuce
1 small onion
20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water
5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
a little cream to finish
1 tbsp chives
salt and pepper
Separate the lettuce leaves and wash very well, drain and chop roughly.
Peel and chop the onion. Melt the butter in a large pan, add half the lettuce leaves and the onion, cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the lettuce is much reduced and the onion soft. Add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 min. Add the rest of the lettuce leaves and bring to the boil again.
Add the milk, stir well to mix. Pour the soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
Return to the pan, add salt and pepper to taste. Reheat, and when ready to serve, add a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives to each dish.
Enough for two generous helpings.