Ingredients Two small or one large lettuce 1 small onion 20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water 5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk 25g (1oz) unsalted butter a little cream to finish 1 tbsp chives salt and pepper Method Separate the lettuce leaves and wash
Two small or one large lettuce
1 small onion
20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water
You may also want to watch:
5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Bloomsday group's post-lockdown gathering to celebrate Joyce novel
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
a little cream to finish
1 tbsp chives
salt and pepper
Separate the lettuce leaves and wash very well, drain and chop roughly.
Peel and chop the onion. Melt the butter in a large pan, add half the lettuce leaves and the onion, cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the lettuce is much reduced and the onion soft. Add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 min. Add the rest of the lettuce leaves and bring to the boil again.
Add the milk, stir well to mix. Pour the soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
Return to the pan, add salt and pepper to taste. Reheat, and when ready to serve, add a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives to each dish.
Enough for two generous helpings.