Ingredients Two small or one large lettuce 1 small onion 20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water 5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk 25g (1oz) unsalted butter a little cream to finish 1 tbsp chives salt and pepper Method Separate the lettuce leaves and wash
Two small or one large lettuce
1 small onion
20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water
You may also want to watch:
5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
a little cream to finish
1 tbsp chives
salt and pepper
Separate the lettuce leaves and wash very well, drain and chop roughly.
Peel and chop the onion. Melt the butter in a large pan, add half the lettuce leaves and the onion, cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the lettuce is much reduced and the onion soft. Add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 min. Add the rest of the lettuce leaves and bring to the boil again.
Add the milk, stir well to mix. Pour the soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
Return to the pan, add salt and pepper to taste. Reheat, and when ready to serve, add a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives to each dish.
Enough for two generous helpings.