Ingredients Two small or one large lettuce 1 small onion 20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water 5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk 25g (1oz) unsalted butter a little cream to finish 1 tbsp chives salt and pepper Method Separate the lettuce leaves and wash
Two small or one large lettuce
1 small onion
20 fl oz (1pt) vegetable or chicken stock, or water
You may also want to watch:
5 fl oz (1/4pt) milk
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 1 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 2 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 3 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 4 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 5 Publish and be damned: 'farmgate' report goes to the vote
- 6 Pupils become journalists for class topic
- 7 Grandmother who got on a motorcycle aged 105 passes away
- 8 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 9 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 10 Pupils to return to school as lockdown restrictions ease
a little cream to finish
1 tbsp chives
salt and pepper
Separate the lettuce leaves and wash very well, drain and chop roughly.
Peel and chop the onion. Melt the butter in a large pan, add half the lettuce leaves and the onion, cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the lettuce is much reduced and the onion soft. Add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 min. Add the rest of the lettuce leaves and bring to the boil again.
Add the milk, stir well to mix. Pour the soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
Return to the pan, add salt and pepper to taste. Reheat, and when ready to serve, add a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives to each dish.
Enough for two generous helpings.