Leg of lamb with tomato and onion sauce
Ingredients Small leg of lamb, about 1kg (2 lbs) in weight 3 medium onions 25g (1oz) each lard and butter 6 medium tomatoes, ripe 1 tsp sugar 2 glasses white wine salt and pepper Method Peel the onions and chop roughly. Melt the lard and the butter in a
Small leg of lamb, about 1kg (2 lbs) in weight
3 medium onions
25g (1oz) each lard and butter
You may also want to watch:
6 medium tomatoes, ripe
1 tsp sugar
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 3 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 4 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 5 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 6 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 7 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 8 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 9 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 10 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
2 glasses white wine
salt and pepper
Peel the onions and chop roughly. Melt the lard and the butter in a large flame-proof casserole and put in the lamb and onions. Cook over medium heat, covered, for 30 minutes, turning the joint over from time to time. Then add the tomatoes, chopped, salt and pepper to taste and the white wine. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer gently for a further 30 minutes or until the lamb is cooked to your taste.
Remove the lamb to a hot carving plate.
Pour the tomato and onion sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Reheat, adding more salt if you like, and serve with the carved meat.