Leg of lamb with tomato and onion sauce
Ingredients Small leg of lamb, about 1kg (2 lbs) in weight 3 medium onions 25g (1oz) each lard and butter 6 medium tomatoes, ripe 1 tsp sugar 2 glasses white wine salt and pepper Method Peel the onions and chop roughly. Melt the lard and the butter in a
Small leg of lamb, about 1kg (2 lbs) in weight
3 medium onions
25g (1oz) each lard and butter
You may also want to watch:
6 medium tomatoes, ripe
1 tsp sugar
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 3 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 4 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 9 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 10 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
2 glasses white wine
salt and pepper
Peel the onions and chop roughly. Melt the lard and the butter in a large flame-proof casserole and put in the lamb and onions. Cook over medium heat, covered, for 30 minutes, turning the joint over from time to time. Then add the tomatoes, chopped, salt and pepper to taste and the white wine. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer gently for a further 30 minutes or until the lamb is cooked to your taste.
Remove the lamb to a hot carving plate.
Pour the tomato and onion sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. Reheat, adding more salt if you like, and serve with the carved meat.