Join together to save shops
Some of your readers may have seen the Mary Portas programme about her Save Our Shops campaign in Tewkesbury. Action like this depends upon the active participation of the majority of independent retailers in a town, and fortunately Royston is not in as
Some of your readers may have seen the Mary Portas programme about her "Save Our Shops" campaign in Tewkesbury. Action like this depends upon the active participation of the majority of independent retailers in a town, and fortunately Royston is not in as bad a state as some of the other towns shown on that programme.
In February, we in the local Chamber became so concerned about the situation of retailers in Royston that we sent out a letter with some ideas and a questionnaire to all the independent retailers in the town, to see what they felt could be done here in Royston. Sadly, in spite of visits to many retailers, we got only a 13% response rate and this was not enough support for us to develop a campaign.
There are undoubtedly many reasons why retailers did not respond at the time, from survey fatigue and adverse weather through to sheer exhaustion and depression. However if more retailers are now interested, please could I ask them, through your pages to contact us? They can e-mail Mike Gowen of The Stationery Cupboard, Royston on firstname.lastname@example.org
Meantime we continue to work behind the scenes to support people who want to move into closed shops, including those who may be interested in the Woolworths site, and to press for the town to be kept clean and attractive-looking.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen J Larcombe
- 1 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 2 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 3 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 4 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 8 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 10 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services
Royston & District Chamber of Commerce