Jazz magic from Claire Martin
JAZZ sensation Claire Martin is performing in Cambridge this weekend. The singer, who provides a modern take on jazz singing, will play at the Cambridge Arts Theatre on Saturday November 7. She is currently touring the UK to mark the release of her 13th a
JAZZ sensation Claire Martin is performing in Cambridge this weekend.
The singer, who provides a modern take on jazz singing, will play at the Cambridge Arts Theatre on Saturday November 7.
She is currently touring the UK to mark the release of her 13th album, A Modern Arts, and will play her usual eclectic mix of stylishly re-worked standards plus some brand new original material written by Claire, bassist Laurence Cottle, and Esbjorn Svenson, Michael Franks and Donald Fagan.
Claire studied singing in both New York and London, and her professional career started with aboard the QE2 ocean liner, where she sang in the Theater Bar for two years.
You may also want to watch:
In 1991, at the age of 21, she formed her own jazz quartet, and was signed by the Scottish jazz label Linn Records.
Her debut album, The Waiting Game, was extremely well reviewed and was selected by The Times as one of their "Albums of the Year". Later that year, she opened for Tony Bennett at the Glasgow International Jazz Festival.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 6 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 7 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 8 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
She has continued performing ever since, and won awards at the British Jazz Awards and picked up the BBC Jazz Awards for best vocalist. She recorded a total of 11 albums, and works as a co-presenter for Jazz Line Up on BBC Radio 3.
Her concert at the Arts Theatre begins at 7.45pm. Tickets cost between �10 - �20, and are subject to a �2 booking fee. To book, or for more information, call 01223 503 333, or visit www.cambridgeartstheatre.com.