Green beans with sesame and coriander
Ingredients: 750g (11/2 lbs) green beans 1 tsp salt 4 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp black mustard seeds 4 cloves garlic 1in cube fresh ginger 3 tbsp roasted sesame seeds small bunch fresh coriander 1 tbsp lemon juice 1/4 tsp each black and cayenne pepper M
750g (11/2 lbs) green beans
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp vegetable oil
You may also want to watch:
1 tsp black mustard seeds
4 cloves garlic
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 10 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
1in cube fresh ginger
3 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
small bunch fresh coriander
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp each black and cayenne pepper
Green beans seem to stand up well to spices, which bring out their flavour rather than swamping it.
Try to buy organic beans for an even better taste. If you like hot food, increase the amount of cayenne, if not, leave it out. Enough for four helpings.
Dry-roast the sesame seeds by heating in a frying pan without oil until they start to turn golden. Put the seeds into a blender or coffee grinder and grind to a coarse powder.
Trim the beans and cut into 1in pieces. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the beans, cook for a few minutes until tender but still slightly crisp, then drain and run cold water over them to keep the green colour. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger, and chop the coriander.
Just before serving, heat the oil in a frying pan. When it is hot, add the mustard seeds,, garlic, and ginger, stir and fry for a minute, or until the garlic starts to brown. Add the rest of the ingredients and the beans together with 1/2 tsp salt. Mix well and heat through, then serve immediately.