Every picture tells a story
A BOOK of memories chronicling the Second World War in Buntingford has been published. The 64-page book entitled Buntingford in Wartime, includes photographs and illustrations taken between 1939 and 1945. Army personnel, American airforcemen, land army gi
A BOOK of memories chronicling the Second World War in Buntingford has been published.
The 64-page book entitled Buntingford in Wartime, includes photographs and illustrations taken between 1939 and 1945.
Army personnel, American airforcemen, land army girls, evacuees and prisoners of war visited Buntingford and the book tells wartime stories through the eyes of those who experienced it first hand.
The town centre management team planned the book to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the end of the war, which was celebrated last May.
You may also want to watch:
The editor, Mark Dell, said: "It's been a fascinating project gathering the memories together.
"Initially I didn't expect very much out of it, but as the project wore on the memories trickled in and a worthwhile book has been made.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
"There's some really interesting material in it accompanied by pictures," he said.
The book costs £4.99 (plus £1 for postage). It is available from the Buntingford Library, the Manor House and the Buntingford Heritage Centre.
Alternatively email tcmt@
btconnect.com or send a cheque to BTCM, Manor House, Market Hill, Buntingford, Herts, SG9 9AB.
Make it payable to Buntingford Town Centre Management Team.