Crow Opinion: The last word
FOR the last time as editor of The Crow – after almost eight years and more than 400 editions – this week s opinion piece is not a comment on a particular local issue. Instead it is an opportunity to simply say thank you to all those in the community, wh
FOR the last time as editor of The Crow - after almost eight years and more than 400 editions - this week's opinion piece is not a comment on a particular local issue.
Instead it is an opportunity to simply say thank you to all those in the community, who in their own way have helped each week.
There is a saying that a journalist is as good as his contact book.
And there have certainly been many contacts out there who have provided the background detail to local issues or been quoted on different matters.
You may also want to watch:
They have provided us with stories - and many of those have been exclusive to The Crow - that we would not have otherwise known about.
Indeed, the stories which have been carried by The Crow would not have had as much authority had not those people not been willing to be placed on the record.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 10 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
A lot of those people are the backbone of our community.
It has been a pleasure to know them all, and have a "working relationship" of mutual trust and understanding.
The last eight years, too, have seen many a young, raw reporter begin their careers in journalism with The Crow.
And we have to be proud that they played a key role while here, and have gone on to carve out decent careers.