Crow Opinion: The last word
FOR the last time as editor of The Crow – after almost eight years and more than 400 editions – this week s opinion piece is not a comment on a particular local issue. Instead it is an opportunity to simply say thank you to all those in the community, wh
FOR the last time as editor of The Crow - after almost eight years and more than 400 editions - this week's opinion piece is not a comment on a particular local issue.
Instead it is an opportunity to simply say thank you to all those in the community, who in their own way have helped each week.
There is a saying that a journalist is as good as his contact book.
And there have certainly been many contacts out there who have provided the background detail to local issues or been quoted on different matters.
You may also want to watch:
They have provided us with stories - and many of those have been exclusive to The Crow - that we would not have otherwise known about.
Indeed, the stories which have been carried by The Crow would not have had as much authority had not those people not been willing to be placed on the record.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 7 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 10 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
A lot of those people are the backbone of our community.
It has been a pleasure to know them all, and have a "working relationship" of mutual trust and understanding.
The last eight years, too, have seen many a young, raw reporter begin their careers in journalism with The Crow.
And we have to be proud that they played a key role while here, and have gone on to carve out decent careers.