Crow Opinion: The last word
FOR the last time as editor of The Crow – after almost eight years and more than 400 editions – this week s opinion piece is not a comment on a particular local issue. Instead it is an opportunity to simply say thank you to all those in the community, wh
FOR the last time as editor of The Crow - after almost eight years and more than 400 editions - this week's opinion piece is not a comment on a particular local issue.
Instead it is an opportunity to simply say thank you to all those in the community, who in their own way have helped each week.
There is a saying that a journalist is as good as his contact book.
And there have certainly been many contacts out there who have provided the background detail to local issues or been quoted on different matters.
They have provided us with stories - and many of those have been exclusive to The Crow - that we would not have otherwise known about.
Indeed, the stories which have been carried by The Crow would not have had as much authority had not those people not been willing to be placed on the record.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 4 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 5 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 6 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 7 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 8 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
A lot of those people are the backbone of our community.
It has been a pleasure to know them all, and have a "working relationship" of mutual trust and understanding.
The last eight years, too, have seen many a young, raw reporter begin their careers in journalism with The Crow.
And we have to be proud that they played a key role while here, and have gone on to carve out decent careers.