Crow Opinion: Democracy rules
IT may appear to be a waste of public money, but the cost of a Royston Town Council by-election at the end of the month is the price of democracy. The by-election is probably one that people do not really want – and it is unlikely to make any difference t
IT may appear to be a waste of public money, but the cost of a Royston Town Council by-election at the end of the month is the price of democracy.
The by-election is probably one that people do not really want - and it is unlikely to make any difference to the political balance of the town council.
But the opportunity to vote should not be denied because it seems a waste of money.
Besides, it is understood, the town council makes provisions each year in its budget for just an event.
You may also want to watch:
But it did seem ridiculous when council members discussed the cost of the by-election on Monday evening to compare it to events in Zimbabwe.
All right, it may be undemocratic not to have the by-election - but there is no comparison with events elsewhere, where people have been tortured and killed to prevent voting.
- 1 Lorry driver's dismay as 'booming' station announcements keep him awake after night work
- 2 Young archaeologist Jake's delight at historic heath find
- 3 Adopt a street and keep it clean by joining Royston Wombles scheme
- 4 Family remembers teacher Frank who taught many how to swim
- 5 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 6 Royston Cricket Club gearing up for a very busy season
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 Arts Society's members' exhibition set to be 'biggest online show yet'
- 9 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 10 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
Such remarks were certainly taking the question too far.
Democracy, locally, still rules, in spite of the cost to the public purse.
Now we have a by-election, we must hope that voters do actually turn out at the polling station at the end of the month.