Croiw Opinion: Public perception
FOR years there have been discussions over the perception of policing in Royston. We know that we have in place quite a rapid response to any major incident taking place, and there has been an increase in community policing. Police are here and patrolling
FOR years there have been discussions over the perception of policing in Royston.
We know that we have in place quite a rapid response to any major incident taking place, and there has been an increase in community policing.
Police are here and patrolling the area - although they may not be seen all the while, and in the eyes of the public there is still the fear of crime.
This, indeed, has been a perception in police survey exercises in recent years and one which the chief constable and his officers have been attempting to change.
You may also want to watch:
But the threat of changes to the opening times of Royston police station is seen as a threat to regular policing.
Again, it is public perception.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Herts police has to explain that the proposed changes are more about administration than police on the street.
It has to explain that although it is considering changes, the actual policing of the area will not, we hope, fundamentally change.
If people know police are on duty and protecting the public, then there may be a change in today's perception.