Councillors cannot be blamed
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston. I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I ve seen this in the eigh
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston.
I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I've seen this in the eight years I have lived in Royston.
However, having done a bit of investigation, one cannot blame councillors for the exorbitant high rents landlords are asking, ridiculously long leases landlords are demanding and the length of time legal issues take to get resolved over rental.
Don't forget that the high rates are set by the Government.
You may also want to watch:
None of these are going to have traders rushing to Royston and no-one can blame councillors for any of this.
Town councillors do not get any renumeration or expenses for giving up their time and, contrary to one correspondent, there are a number of councillors who work hard for Royston and put many hours in doing so, not only one councillor.
- 1 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 2 South Cambs MP launches new forum to champion local life sciences
- 3 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 4 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 5 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 6 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 7 Experts to discuss mental health at new online festival
- 8 Shellens quits after committee votes to gag Hickford debate
- 9 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 10 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk