Councillors cannot be blamed
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston. I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I ve seen this in the eigh
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston.
I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I've seen this in the eight years I have lived in Royston.
However, having done a bit of investigation, one cannot blame councillors for the exorbitant high rents landlords are asking, ridiculously long leases landlords are demanding and the length of time legal issues take to get resolved over rental.
Don't forget that the high rates are set by the Government.
None of these are going to have traders rushing to Royston and no-one can blame councillors for any of this.
Town councillors do not get any renumeration or expenses for giving up their time and, contrary to one correspondent, there are a number of councillors who work hard for Royston and put many hours in doing so, not only one councillor.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 8 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 9 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages