Councillors cannot be blamed
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston. I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I ve seen this in the eigh
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston.
I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I've seen this in the eight years I have lived in Royston.
However, having done a bit of investigation, one cannot blame councillors for the exorbitant high rents landlords are asking, ridiculously long leases landlords are demanding and the length of time legal issues take to get resolved over rental.
Don't forget that the high rates are set by the Government.
You may also want to watch:
None of these are going to have traders rushing to Royston and no-one can blame councillors for any of this.
Town councillors do not get any renumeration or expenses for giving up their time and, contrary to one correspondent, there are a number of councillors who work hard for Royston and put many hours in doing so, not only one councillor.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 4 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 8 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs