Councillors cannot be blamed
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston. I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I ve seen this in the eigh
I HAVE read with interest the letters various people have been writing to The Crow blaming town councillors and district councillors for the decline in retail trade in Royston.
I totally agree that retail trade has declined, and I've seen this in the eight years I have lived in Royston.
However, having done a bit of investigation, one cannot blame councillors for the exorbitant high rents landlords are asking, ridiculously long leases landlords are demanding and the length of time legal issues take to get resolved over rental.
Don't forget that the high rates are set by the Government.
You may also want to watch:
None of these are going to have traders rushing to Royston and no-one can blame councillors for any of this.
Town councillors do not get any renumeration or expenses for giving up their time and, contrary to one correspondent, there are a number of councillors who work hard for Royston and put many hours in doing so, not only one councillor.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside