Commuters getting on the fast track
First Capital Connect is putting into service eight extra train carriages on the Great Northern Route from December 14. This will create new peak services and have the knock-on effect of removing station stops from some other services, speeding up their
First Capital Connect is putting into service eight extra train carriages on the Great Northern Route from December 14.
This will create new peak services and have the knock-on effect of removing station stops from some other services, speeding up their journey times and further reducing overcrowding.
This is part of the December timetable change which I urge your readers to examine.
The new timetable is available at stations and can be downloaded from www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk, from the heading "What's new".
The extra carriages will be used to introduce new peak services between Royston and King's Cross.
These will, in the most part, pick up station stops which will be removed from some of our busiest services between Stevenage and Cambridge.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 5 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 7 Up on the roof: Choir sings from top of 163ft chapel tower at Cambridge college
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
As a result, seats will be freed up on these busy services and journey times will be reduced.
For example, the overcrowded 18:15 King's Cross-Ely service will be less crowded and seven minutes quicker, because the intermediate station stops at Letchworth Garden City, Baldock, Ashwell & Morden and Royston will be transferred to a new 18:17 King's Cross-Royston service.
The effect of these changes is to bring forward part of the proposed May 2009 Peterborough and Cambridge Capacity Scheme.
The full timetable for the scheme, which was subject to consultation in 2007, will be delivered in May 2009 and will reflect the timetable produced following the consultation process.
First Capital Connect