Clove and vanilla ice-cream
Ingredients 160ml (6 fl oz) full-cream milk 320ml (12 fl oz) whipping cream 18 cloves 1 vanilla pod 4 egg yolks 50g (2oz) granulated sugar Method COMBINE the milk, cream, cloves and vanilla pod in a Pyrex basin and heat over a pan of simmering water unti
160ml (6 fl oz) full-cream milk
320ml (12 fl oz) whipping cream
1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 4 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 5 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 6 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 7 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 8 Royston Kite Festival expected to attract thousands
- 9 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 10 Double murderer Ian Stewart has whole life order reduced
50g (2oz) granulated sugar
COMBINE the milk, cream, cloves and vanilla pod in a Pyrex basin and heat over a pan of simmering water until just below boiling point. Do not boil. Turn off the heat, cover and allow the cloves and vanilla to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain to remove the cloves and vanilla pod and pour the mixture back into the rinsed-out basin.
In another bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until foamy and getting stiff. Pour half the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then return this mixture to the original basin and heat again over simmering water until the cream is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a clean bowl, cover and leave to cool, then chill in the fridge.
When really cold, freeze in the freezer or churn in an ice-cream machine. Stir the ice-cream several times if you are using the freezer. These quantities make about a pint of ice-cream.