Clove and vanilla ice-cream
Ingredients 160ml (6 fl oz) full-cream milk 320ml (12 fl oz) whipping cream 18 cloves 1 vanilla pod 4 egg yolks 50g (2oz) granulated sugar Method COMBINE the milk, cream, cloves and vanilla pod in a Pyrex basin and heat over a pan of simmering water unti
160ml (6 fl oz) full-cream milk
320ml (12 fl oz) whipping cream
You may also want to watch:
1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 5 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 10 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
50g (2oz) granulated sugar
COMBINE the milk, cream, cloves and vanilla pod in a Pyrex basin and heat over a pan of simmering water until just below boiling point. Do not boil. Turn off the heat, cover and allow the cloves and vanilla to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain to remove the cloves and vanilla pod and pour the mixture back into the rinsed-out basin.
In another bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until foamy and getting stiff. Pour half the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then return this mixture to the original basin and heat again over simmering water until the cream is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a clean bowl, cover and leave to cool, then chill in the fridge.
When really cold, freeze in the freezer or churn in an ice-cream machine. Stir the ice-cream several times if you are using the freezer. These quantities make about a pint of ice-cream.