Clove and vanilla ice-cream
Ingredients 160ml (6 fl oz) full-cream milk 320ml (12 fl oz) whipping cream 18 cloves 1 vanilla pod 4 egg yolks 50g (2oz) granulated sugar Method COMBINE the milk, cream, cloves and vanilla pod in a Pyrex basin and heat over a pan of simmering water unti
160ml (6 fl oz) full-cream milk
320ml (12 fl oz) whipping cream
You may also want to watch:
1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 10 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
50g (2oz) granulated sugar
COMBINE the milk, cream, cloves and vanilla pod in a Pyrex basin and heat over a pan of simmering water until just below boiling point. Do not boil. Turn off the heat, cover and allow the cloves and vanilla to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain to remove the cloves and vanilla pod and pour the mixture back into the rinsed-out basin.
In another bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until foamy and getting stiff. Pour half the cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then return this mixture to the original basin and heat again over simmering water until the cream is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a clean bowl, cover and leave to cool, then chill in the fridge.
When really cold, freeze in the freezer or churn in an ice-cream machine. Stir the ice-cream several times if you are using the freezer. These quantities make about a pint of ice-cream.