Chinese chicken with rice
Ingredients 225g (8oz) basmati rice 8 chicken thighs or wings 2 tbsp soy sauce 1 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine 1 tsp salt 2 tsp sesame oil 1 tsp cornflour 2 tbsp groundnut oil 2 tsp finely chopped, peeled ginger root 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions for
225g (8oz) basmati rice
8 chicken thighs or wings
2 tbsp soy sauce
You may also want to watch:
1 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine
1 tsp salt
- 1 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 2 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 3 County council leader praises sacrifice made by residents during lockdown
- 4 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 5 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 6 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 7 Council tax set to rise in South Cambs to help support frontline services
- 8 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 9 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Royston
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp groundnut oil
2 tsp finely chopped, peeled ginger root
2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions for garnish
THIS is a good way of cooking small chicken pieces such as thighs or wings. Serve with some stir-fried vegetables such as beans, mushrooms, pak choi or bean sprouts. Enough for four.
Wash the rice well in a sieve. Heat 1/2 tbsp groundnut oil in a saucepan and fry the rice for a minute, then add 12 fl oz water and a little salt. Stir well, bring to the boil, cover and simmer on very low heat until the rice is tender, then keep warm.
Combine the chicken pieces with the soy sauce, sherry, salt, sesame oil and cornflour.
Heat a wok or large frying-pan, add the groundnut oil and chopped ginger and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add the chicken with its sauces together with 3 fl oz water.
Mix well, turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add a little more water if necessary to stop the chicken drying out. There should be a small amount of sauce left when the chicken is done.
Pour the contents of the wok over the rice and heat gently together for a couple of minutes, then serve, garnished with the chopped spring onions.