Ingredients: 175g (6oz) plain flour 1 tsp mustard powder 1/4 tsp salt a few drops Tabasco sauce 75g (3oz) butter, chilled 50g (2oz) strong cheddar cheese 25g (1oz) Parmesan cheese 1 large egg yolk 2 tsp sesame seeds beaten egg or milk for glazing Method:
175g (6oz) plain flour
1 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp salt
You may also want to watch:
a few drops Tabasco sauce
75g (3oz) butter, chilled
- 1 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 2 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 3 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 4 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 6 No business like shire business for Cambridge college
- 7 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 8 Submissions open for Hertfordshire charity photography exhibition
- 9 Community comes together for Together We Stand Against Racism event
- 10 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
50g (2oz) strong cheddar cheese
25g (1oz) Parmesan cheese
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp sesame seeds
beaten egg or milk for glazing
AN easy recipe for cheese straws, ideal for entertaining over the Christmas season, these taste really strongly of cheese. This quantity makes about 20 twists.
Grate the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Put the flour, mustard, grated cheese and salt into a large bowl. Using the coarsest part of a grater, grate the butter into the flour and rub in very lightly, not too much or the twists will not be flaky.
Beat the egg yolk with 3 tbsp water, add to the flour mixture with the Tabasco sauce and knead until smooth.
Roll out into a rectangle about 5mm thick. Cut into strips 1cm wide and then into 6cm lengths. Lay the strips out on a greased baking sheet, giving each one a twist as you do.
Brush with milk or beaten egg and scatter the sesame seeds over the twists. Bake in a hot oven, Gas Mark 6/200 deg C/400 deg F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
The twists keep fresh stored in a tin for several days.