Ingredients: 175g (6oz) plain flour 1 tsp mustard powder 1/4 tsp salt a few drops Tabasco sauce 75g (3oz) butter, chilled 50g (2oz) strong cheddar cheese 25g (1oz) Parmesan cheese 1 large egg yolk 2 tsp sesame seeds beaten egg or milk for glazing Method:
175g (6oz) plain flour
1 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp salt
You may also want to watch:
a few drops Tabasco sauce
75g (3oz) butter, chilled
- 1 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 2 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 3 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 4 Local Election 2021: Counting starts for North Herts council
- 5 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 6 Local Election 2021 results: NHDC leader loses seat
- 7 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 8 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
- 9 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 10 Who is standing in Royston Town Council Meridian ward election?
50g (2oz) strong cheddar cheese
25g (1oz) Parmesan cheese
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp sesame seeds
beaten egg or milk for glazing
AN easy recipe for cheese straws, ideal for entertaining over the Christmas season, these taste really strongly of cheese. This quantity makes about 20 twists.
Grate the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Put the flour, mustard, grated cheese and salt into a large bowl. Using the coarsest part of a grater, grate the butter into the flour and rub in very lightly, not too much or the twists will not be flaky.
Beat the egg yolk with 3 tbsp water, add to the flour mixture with the Tabasco sauce and knead until smooth.
Roll out into a rectangle about 5mm thick. Cut into strips 1cm wide and then into 6cm lengths. Lay the strips out on a greased baking sheet, giving each one a twist as you do.
Brush with milk or beaten egg and scatter the sesame seeds over the twists. Bake in a hot oven, Gas Mark 6/200 deg C/400 deg F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
The twists keep fresh stored in a tin for several days.