Celebration dinner may have been jubilee event
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in All Our Yesterdays from the Crow June 26. I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubi
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in "All Our Yesterdays" from the Crow June 26.
I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of the Coronation of George V, which was on May 6. The loyal decorations on the balcony are some evidence - many buildings in the town were similarly decorated at that time.
I cannot recall why the Scouts and Guides were enrolled as Servers. The men in dark shirts and plain neckerchiefs were members of the St John the Baptist Church Group.
To the left is Harold Heathfield, and in the centre of the group to the right is Harry Sermons, both Scout Masters. The two in light shirts and bordered neckerchiefs were senior members of The First Royston Scout Group, their faces are very familiar to me but I cannot remember their names.
I cannot recognise any of the older folk.
- 1 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 4 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 7 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 10 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
Letchworth Garden City.