Celebration dinner may have been jubilee event
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in All Our Yesterdays from the Crow June 26. I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubi
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in "All Our Yesterdays" from the Crow June 26.
I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of the Coronation of George V, which was on May 6. The loyal decorations on the balcony are some evidence - many buildings in the town were similarly decorated at that time.
I cannot recall why the Scouts and Guides were enrolled as Servers. The men in dark shirts and plain neckerchiefs were members of the St John the Baptist Church Group.
To the left is Harold Heathfield, and in the centre of the group to the right is Harry Sermons, both Scout Masters. The two in light shirts and bordered neckerchiefs were senior members of The First Royston Scout Group, their faces are very familiar to me but I cannot remember their names.
You may also want to watch:
I cannot recognise any of the older folk.
- 1 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 2 Royston woman celebrates 100th birthday after living in town for 53 years
- 3 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 4 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 5 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 8 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 9 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 10 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
Letchworth Garden City.