Celebration dinner may have been jubilee event
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in All Our Yesterdays from the Crow June 26. I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubi
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in "All Our Yesterdays" from the Crow June 26.
I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of the Coronation of George V, which was on May 6. The loyal decorations on the balcony are some evidence - many buildings in the town were similarly decorated at that time.
I cannot recall why the Scouts and Guides were enrolled as Servers. The men in dark shirts and plain neckerchiefs were members of the St John the Baptist Church Group.
To the left is Harold Heathfield, and in the centre of the group to the right is Harry Sermons, both Scout Masters. The two in light shirts and bordered neckerchiefs were senior members of The First Royston Scout Group, their faces are very familiar to me but I cannot remember their names.
You may also want to watch:
I cannot recognise any of the older folk.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 4 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services
- 10 'It's one of the best gigs to do' - Troublemaker star Olly Murs looks ahead to his Newmarket Nights concert
Letchworth Garden City.