Celebration dinner may have been jubilee event
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in All Our Yesterdays from the Crow June 26. I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubi
Having apparently had no response, I offer my late comment to the photograph in "All Our Yesterdays" from the Crow June 26.
I think could have been taken in May 1935 on the occasion of a dinner given to Royston Senior Citizens to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of the Coronation of George V, which was on May 6. The loyal decorations on the balcony are some evidence - many buildings in the town were similarly decorated at that time.
I cannot recall why the Scouts and Guides were enrolled as Servers. The men in dark shirts and plain neckerchiefs were members of the St John the Baptist Church Group.
To the left is Harold Heathfield, and in the centre of the group to the right is Harry Sermons, both Scout Masters. The two in light shirts and bordered neckerchiefs were senior members of The First Royston Scout Group, their faces are very familiar to me but I cannot remember their names.
You may also want to watch:
I cannot recognise any of the older folk.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 6 Extra Car Park Panto date added for IWM Duxford
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
- 9 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 10 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
Letchworth Garden City.