Carrots with cream and mushroom sauce
Ingredients 450g (1lb) carrots 10g (1/4 oz) dried mushrooms 25g (1oz) unsalted butter 1 tbsp lemon juice 5 fl oz whipping cream 1 tbsp fresh parsley 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg salt and pepper to taste Method This is a subtle and delicate dish which makes the
450g (1lb) carrots
10g (1/4 oz) dried mushrooms
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
5 fl oz whipping cream
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
This is a subtle and delicate dish which makes the most of the flavour of new carrots. Enough for two or three servings.
Soak the dried mushrooms in a cup of warm water for a few minutes until soft, then drain through a fine sieve, reserving the soaking liquid. Peel the carrots and cut into chunks. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the carrots and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring. Add the lemon juice, nutmeg, cream, mushrooms and salt and pepper to the carrots and stir well. Cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the carrots are soft. Add some of the mushroom water if the liquid becomes too thick. Serve sprinkled with finely chopped parsley.