Ingredients 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil 120g (4oz) plain flour 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1/2 tsp salt 2 large eggs 1/4 tsp ground cardamom seeds 255g (8oz) granulated sugar 50g (2oz) softened butter 280g (10oz) finely grated carrots 2 tbsp chopped pistachio n
1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
120g (4oz) plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
- 1 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
1/4 tsp ground cardamom seeds
255g (8oz) granulated sugar
50g (2oz) softened butter
280g (10oz) finely grated carrots
2 tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
2 tbsp chopped flaked almonds
2 tbsp raisins
This makes a light cake which keeps well, enough for at least 10 slices.
Use vegetable oil to grease an 8" (20cm) round non-stick cake tin, lining base with some non-stick or greaseproof paper, then dusting lightly with a little flour. Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180 deg C, 250 deg F. Sift flour well with bicarbonate of soda and salt. Beat eggs well in a large bowl, then add ground cardamoms, sugar and softened butter, beat well until mixed thoroughly. Add sifted flour mixture to eggs and fold in gently with a spatula. Add carrots, nuts and raisins and fold in gently too. Pour cake mixture into tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden-red and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes in the tin, then turn the cake onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.