Cabbage and potato soup
Ingredients 225g (8oz) potatoes 175g (6oz) cabbage 4 rashers streaky smoked bacon 15g (1/2 oz lard) 1 small onion Small bunch of fresh coriander 900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water Salt and pepper Method THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, wi
225g (8oz) potatoes
175g (6oz) cabbage
4 rashers streaky smoked bacon
You may also want to watch:
15g (1/2 oz lard)
1 small onion
- 1 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
- 2 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 3 Learning pod built at one of the UK's smallest schools thanks to £1,000 donation
- 4 Safety improvement works on dangerous A505 junction to start this month
- 5 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 6 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 7 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 8 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan passed to 'secure the best' for Foxton
- 10 Rail timetable change could see 'dramatic improvement' to village services
Small bunch of fresh coriander
900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water
Salt and pepper
THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, with the coriander leaves giving a distinctive taste.
Chop or cut the bacon into small slices and fry gently in the lard in a large saucepan. Slice the onion and add to the pan, fry gently until lightly coloured.
Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Shred the cabbage and add to the pan with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the stock or water, stir well and bring to the boil.
Simmer very gently until all the vegetables are tender.
Process the soup in a blender until smooth, then reheat and check seasoning.
Add the chopped coriander to the soup just before serving. Enough for four.