Cabbage and potato soup
Ingredients 225g (8oz) potatoes 175g (6oz) cabbage 4 rashers streaky smoked bacon 15g (1/2 oz lard) 1 small onion Small bunch of fresh coriander 900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water Salt and pepper Method THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, wi
225g (8oz) potatoes
175g (6oz) cabbage
4 rashers streaky smoked bacon
15g (1/2 oz lard)
1 small onion
- 1 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 2 Disruption to train lines between Royston and Cambridge
- 3 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 4 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 5 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 6 Meet the cast of Cambridge Arts Theatre's family pantomime Aladdin
- 7 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 8 Royston crews' tribute after 'incredible' fire dog's death
- 9 Bronze Age hoards containing around 200 items found near Royston
- 10 Royston museum under new management
Small bunch of fresh coriander
900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water
Salt and pepper
THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, with the coriander leaves giving a distinctive taste.
Chop or cut the bacon into small slices and fry gently in the lard in a large saucepan. Slice the onion and add to the pan, fry gently until lightly coloured.
Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Shred the cabbage and add to the pan with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the stock or water, stir well and bring to the boil.
Simmer very gently until all the vegetables are tender.
Process the soup in a blender until smooth, then reheat and check seasoning.
Add the chopped coriander to the soup just before serving. Enough for four.