Cabbage and potato soup
Ingredients 225g (8oz) potatoes 175g (6oz) cabbage 4 rashers streaky smoked bacon 15g (1/2 oz lard) 1 small onion Small bunch of fresh coriander 900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water Salt and pepper Method THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, wi
225g (8oz) potatoes
175g (6oz) cabbage
4 rashers streaky smoked bacon
You may also want to watch:
15g (1/2 oz lard)
1 small onion
- 1 Results in for South Cambs District Council by-election
- 2 Hospital reopens all operating theatres as waiting lists get longer
- 3 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Royston Picture Palace announces cinema's planned reopening date
- 5 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Promising Young Woman review: Carey Mulligan shines in Emerald Fennell's outstanding movie
- 9 Let's go fly a kite as annual festival is set to return
- 10 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
Small bunch of fresh coriander
900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water
Salt and pepper
THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, with the coriander leaves giving a distinctive taste.
Chop or cut the bacon into small slices and fry gently in the lard in a large saucepan. Slice the onion and add to the pan, fry gently until lightly coloured.
Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Shred the cabbage and add to the pan with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the stock or water, stir well and bring to the boil.
Simmer very gently until all the vegetables are tender.
Process the soup in a blender until smooth, then reheat and check seasoning.
Add the chopped coriander to the soup just before serving. Enough for four.