Cabbage and potato soup
Ingredients 225g (8oz) potatoes 175g (6oz) cabbage 4 rashers streaky smoked bacon 15g (1/2 oz lard) 1 small onion Small bunch of fresh coriander 900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water Salt and pepper Method THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, wi
225g (8oz) potatoes
175g (6oz) cabbage
4 rashers streaky smoked bacon
You may also want to watch:
15g (1/2 oz lard)
1 small onion
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 3 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 5 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 6 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 7 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 8 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 9 Ewan's handiwork sees him give back to his old school with help of charity
- 10 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
Small bunch of fresh coriander
900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water
Salt and pepper
THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, with the coriander leaves giving a distinctive taste.
Chop or cut the bacon into small slices and fry gently in the lard in a large saucepan. Slice the onion and add to the pan, fry gently until lightly coloured.
Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Shred the cabbage and add to the pan with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the stock or water, stir well and bring to the boil.
Simmer very gently until all the vegetables are tender.
Process the soup in a blender until smooth, then reheat and check seasoning.
Add the chopped coriander to the soup just before serving. Enough for four.