Cabbage and potato soup
Ingredients 225g (8oz) potatoes 175g (6oz) cabbage 4 rashers streaky smoked bacon 15g (1/2 oz lard) 1 small onion Small bunch of fresh coriander 900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water Salt and pepper Method THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, wi
225g (8oz) potatoes
175g (6oz) cabbage
4 rashers streaky smoked bacon
You may also want to watch:
15g (1/2 oz lard)
1 small onion
- 1 Royston man celebrates 100th birthday after recovering from COVID-19
- 2 Have your say on A505 Litlington turning proposals
- 3 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 4 Man to face court after admitting to £15,000 cigarette stealing spree
- 5 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 6 Mental health support group encouraging you to #Walkandtalk
- 7 Sandon mum's joy at publication of first novel
- 8 18 rescued from back of refrigerated lorry
- 9 Aspiring young photographers take part in 'wild nature' competition
- 10 £100m from This Land could be 'Never Land'
Small bunch of fresh coriander
900ml (1 1/2 pints) stock or water
Salt and pepper
THIS is a good, nourishing and cheap winter soup, with the coriander leaves giving a distinctive taste.
Chop or cut the bacon into small slices and fry gently in the lard in a large saucepan. Slice the onion and add to the pan, fry gently until lightly coloured.
Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Shred the cabbage and add to the pan with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the stock or water, stir well and bring to the boil.
Simmer very gently until all the vegetables are tender.
Process the soup in a blender until smooth, then reheat and check seasoning.
Add the chopped coriander to the soup just before serving. Enough for four.